Working out the relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out the relationship?

Hi, I just can't get my head around this census in 1851, please could someone take a look and maybe help me. What I don't get is how can a 4 yr old be a son in law? And is the head and 1st daughter really 86 and 75 (transcribed) or how I read it 56 and 25 (original image)?
    Thanks
    Tessie
    Class: HO107; Piece: 1685; Folio: 562; Page: 31

Hi

The ages look like 86 and 25 to me but I agree 56 makes more sense.
    The terms son in law and daughter in law were often used to mean stepson and stepdaughter.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

oh not grandchildren? Why would a 56 yr old have step children aged 4 etc? I think I need to order the birth cert to find out who the parents were!
      Thanks
      Tessie

Comment

Looking at the list of names, I'd say that some have been given the relationship not to the head but to one of the daughters.

e.g Ann BONNER, Daur, W, 25 - there are at least two BONNER children-in-law, so they must be the widowed daughter's children/stepchildren

I think that they must be grandchildren-generation, at least.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I had a look back, and found page 28, where Grandson and Daur-in-law seem to be used as you'd expect, so there's nothing to suggest the enumerator habitually mixed up the terms.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ok thanks
            Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              I had a look back, and found page 28, where Grandson and Daur-in-law seem to be used as you'd expect, so there's nothing to suggest the enumerator habitually mixed up the terms.

Christine
              The enumerator would have simply written down the relationships as described by the head of each household - so no reason to infer that the terms would have been used consistently from one household to another.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                The enumerator would have simply written down the relationships as described by the head of each household - so no reason to infer that the terms would have been used consistently from one household to another.
                Yes - I reckon you're right.

I have a Rhoda who's given the surname BENNETT and described as "mother" to the Head, George BENNETT. I surmise that she was generally called "Mother" in the house, and no-one thought to add "-in-law": all the circumstantial evidence points to her being Rhoda WESTON, George's MiL.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X