Help please!! Newbie to all this!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please!! Newbie to all this!!

Have found a relative and family I was looking for on the Family Search site on the 1881 census. Have paid on the 1901 census online and can't find any record of any of them!!!! Has anyone any advice please? Am I being a complete plank??? It is the family of William Bobbett-found the whole household and then they have disappeared! :o

Hi Nicky and welcome...........have you any more details e.g, dob and place of birth. or any other names?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Hello and Welcome!

No! You're not being a complete plank! The family have more than likely being 'transcribed' wrong - a really common thing. Unless they went abroad of course. I've tried to look for your family in 1881 but there are a few William Bobbetts.

If you can provide more info on the family eg ages, places of birth etc, I'm sure we could find them for you.

Helen x

Comment

thanks so much! His date of birth showing on 1881 census is 1843, placeof birth Barrington, Somerset. He married Honour Bobbett (1842, Curry Mallett,Somerset). They had 8 children-James, Sarah A,Mary,Eliza, Joe, Tom, John and Henry. They were living in Aberbeeg at the time of the 1881 census. The one I am most interested in is Joe (Joseph) Bobbett who was my dad's grandfather. Thanks again for any help-have been pulling my hair out!

Comment

Sorry, just deleted my previous message - you obviously have them in 1881. Off to look in 1901.

By the way, if you click on the links at the top of this page, such as "Starting out on your Research" and "Online Research", you'll find lots of useful tips.

Comment

Just a thought. Jumping from 1881 to 1901 in one go may be a leap too far. A lot can happen in 20 years so 1891 might be a better first step. I have a family in which the wife has 3 husbands (and therefore 4 different surnames) in under 20 years.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Still in Wales in 1891 and 1901.

1891:

William, Honor, their children Wm J (28), Eliza (20), Joseph (18), Arthur J (15), Tom (12), Henry (10) and Alfred (7) and boarder Geo Adams are living in Aberystruth.

1901:

Ancestry's transcribed them as Robbert. The actual image looks like Bobbert.

William, Honer (sic), Arthur (25), Henry (20) and Alfred (18) are living together in Abertillery. James and his wife Eliza are next door.

(Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright)
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-07-09, 23:41.

Comment

In 1901, Joseph, also transcribed as Robbert, is living in Abertillery with wife Mary J and children Eliza (6), William (3) and Arthur (1). They're only three doors away from his parents, on the same page - I didn't notice them before.

(Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright)
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 12-07-09, 23:38.

Comment

I think there's something wrong with the Welsh data on the 1901 online site.

I've just had a look at it, and I can't get it to bring up the Bobbett family however I search - in fact it's not bringing up anyone born in Somerset and living in Wales.

I tried searching for a common name like William Jones living in Monmouthshire, and it says there are only 4 of them, whereas Ancestry has over 1000.

Comment

I think its because the place of birth isn't down as Somerset. Try Honer Robbert born 1839 - it comes up as born Curry Mallet Som
                    Jackie

Comment

Yes, that works. It doesn't seem to like you putting Monmouthshire as the county, but it does accept Monmouth.

Comment

wow-thanks so much!!! This is so exciting! Am off to have another look!

Comment

another daft question-what does 'sic'mean?

Comment

Welcome, Nicky Rich. No question is silly on here. I think most of us have asked questions which we have thought are silly to other people!

Sic is a word used by people to inidcate an apparent misspelling or doubtful word in a source being quoted.

"Sic" after "Honer" means that the name Honer is a misspelling of Honour.

You will probably come across it again!
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:
                            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by NickyRich View Post
                              another daft question-what does 'sic'mean?
                              Latin for "thus".

It means that the word has been repeated exactly as it was spelt in the original document (often used if a word has been misspelt).

Comment

That's right. I added it to show that it was their misspelling, not mine

Comment

thanks so much for all your help! This is all completely new to me and I think my enthusiasm is overtaking my understanding of where to start!! My dad is thrilled with the info so far and I am hoping to do more research in my 6 weeks summer hols! Your kindness and help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by NickyRich View Post
                                    thanks so much for all your help! This is all completely new to me and I think my enthusiasm is overtaking my understanding of where to start!! My dad is thrilled with the info so far and I am hoping to do more research in my 6 weeks summer hols! Your kindness and help is greatly appreciated!
                                    I'm sure there's a beginner's guide in the WIKI. The golden rule is to make sure you've got one generation correct before going further back up the wrong tree. You can't get far without certificates, as you'll see if you watch "Heir Hunters".

Comment

Working...
                                    X