Did she marry David or Thomas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did she marry David or Thomas?

According to freeBMD Eleanor Oliver married Q1 1887 (11a 580) at Merthyr Tydfil ... there are 2 potential grooms listed, David Jenkins and Thomas John Lewis.

Is anyone able to please ascertain from the 1891 census who she married, if she had any children, where she's living etc?

Eleanor was born c1849-50 at Merthyr, Glamorgan.

Thanks
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

There's an Eleanor Jenkins b 1847 Pembrokeshire married to David Jenkins b 1844 Pembrokeshire living in Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil.
    And there's another Eleanor Jenkins here living in Ystradyfodwg, Pontypridd
    David Jenkins 52 b Aberdare
    Eleanor Jenkins 45 b Dowlais, Glamorgan
    Rees Jenkins 4
    John Jenkins 14
    John Richmond 40

the only Eleanor married to Thomas was born and living in Carmarthen.
    Sue

Comment

The only Eleanor Oliver I can find on the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Wales was born in 1840....or do you mean the Elen Oliver who is married to Thomas Oliver on the 1871 census?
      Jeanette
      Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

There is an Ellen Jenkins ages 42, b. Merthyr, married to David Jenkins, aged 47 also born Merthyr, living in Bedminster, Somerset.
        RG12; Piece: 1950; Folio 123; Page 56

I will list the children if you do not have access to the image, but there are 5 and the youngest is 11.

Comment

on freebmd
          Eleanor Oliver 1887 Methyr T 11a 580 Mar Qtr.....
          David Jenkins 1887 Methyr T 11a 580 Mar Qtr...... so it`s DAVID....lol...
          allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Not on Freebmd Allan....it gives the choice of 2 grooms. Did you mean another site?
            Jeanette

Comment

No Jeanette...FreeBMD Home Page
              if you go to the above link...click search...click marriages ....then type Eleanor Oliver...it comes up with .the Ref No.....so if you then do the same for David Jenkins...you get the SAME Ref No....is that wrong ??....allan
              Last edited by garstonite; 12-07-09, 13:33.
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Allan - if you click on the page no when you've found Eleanor it brings up two marriages on the same page - therefore two possible grooms.
                Sue

Comment

Hi Everyone - sorry, but had to go offline for a while. Thanks for helping me with this search.

Yes Jeanette - that's the one, she was married to Thomas Oliver who, I think, died 1884 Merthyr T. Spelling of her name has varied on censuses/marriages e.g. Elen, Eilinor, Eleonor, Eleanor.

Sue's 'find' looks hopeful taking into account 1887 marriage - presume the older child John Jenkins could be from previous marriage ... will take a look at 1881 for him to check who his mother is.

Lynn - I'd be interested to know the names/ages etc of the children of David and Ellen Jenkins. 'Eleanor' and Thomas Oliver had 5 children, so I suppose some of them could be theirs ???

Allan - not sure how you deduced she married David and not Thomas???

Thanks again to all for your input

Comment

Not on MY freebmd it doesn`t....let me check...allan
                    I HAVEN`T GOT A CLUE WHAT YOU ARE BOTH TALKING ABOUT...OH THE SHAME.
                    Quite simply I get REF NO for Eleanor.....and the same comes up for David Jenkins....and when you click on the pair of glasses that says" view " it`s an alphabetical list of the full page.....about 200 names...where the h*ll do you only get 4 names ???....lol..told you I was awful at this research....allan:o
                    Last edited by garstonite; 12-07-09, 13:51.

Comment

Lol Allan! Try this...

Check the boxes All Districts, Glamorgan, Marriages. Enter the name Eleanor Oliver and the dates Mar 1887 to Dec 1887. Now click Find. You have Eleanor's name etc....so click on the page number, in this case 580. You now have 4 names for 2 marriages
                      Jeanette

Comment

Hi Lass,
                        When I checked that image there are only 3 children....the next family has been transcribed as part of the Jenkins family.

The children, all born Aberdare, Glamorgan are Thomas aged 18, Elizabeth aged 16 & David aged 14.

Thare is also a servant by the name of Minnie James, aged 20.

Comment

Thanks for the info Lyn, place of birth is right locality, but the only name that matches is Elizth but she's too old as she was only 5months old in 1881.

It looks as if all Thomas and Eleanor's children have left home in 1891 apart from Elizth who I think may have died in 1882. It looks like Mary Jane married in 1886.

Comment

Hi Lass, I was just looking at this again when you posted!

It looks like Mary Jane married a cousin, John Oliver. They are here with some of her siblings in 1891
                            - Ancestry.co.uk
                            Sue

Comment

Wow Sue what a find!... how do you know John was Mary's cousin? who's John's father? (just wondering if it was John b1846 - I've not traced this line yet!)

I presume Edwd is John's brother and John and Wm are Mary's brothers.

Thanks for carrying on searching (me thinks this could be a potential new carry on film title... lol)

Comment

Just looked for Mary Jane and family in 1901 .... and her mother Ellen Jenkins is living with the family (this confirms on the right track with David Jenkins ... she's a widow again (that's 2 husbands she's succeeded!!) ... no sign of son Rees b1887 though!
                                Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 13-07-09, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                                  Wow Sue what a find!... how do you know John was Mary's cousin? who's John's father? (just wondering if it was John b1846 - I've not traced this line yet!)

I presume Edwd is John's brother and John and Wm are Mary's brothers.

Thanks for carrying on searching (me thinks this could be a potential new carry on film title... lol)

Feeling a little embarrassed here - I don't know that they were cousins it's just a guess! She married John Oliver in 1886 (Jun qtr Merthyr Tydfil 11a 691) and it seems to me to be a huge coincedence if they were not related. That said my great grandparents had the same surname but were not related:o

Update - Thomas Oliver (Eleanor's first husband) and John Oliver (Mary Jane's husband) were both born in Pontrhydfendigad, Cardiganshire according to 1881 Census (Thos) and 1891 Census (John)
                                  Last edited by Sue from Southend; 13-07-09, 12:10. Reason: To add more information
                                  Sue

Comment

There's a Rees Jenkins b 1887 Glamorgan at boarding school in Banbury in 1901 here
                                    - Ancestry.co.uk
                                    Sue

Comment

thanks Sue ... I'll take a look

Comment

There appear to be 2 Rees Jenkins ...

Sue, the one you found in 1901 appears to be the other one

1891 Wales Census
                                        Name: Rees Jenkins
                                        Birth: abt 1887 - Briton-Ferry, Glamorgan, Wales
                                        Residence: 1891 - Briton Ferry, Briton Ferry, Glamorgan, Wales

1901 England Census
                                        Birth: abt 1887 - Midon Ferry, Glamorgan, Wales
                                        Residence: 1901 - Neithrop, Oxfordshire, England

1891 Wales Census
                                        Relation: Son
                                        Father's Name: David / Mother's Name: Eleanor
                                        Where born: Ystraddyfodwg

Comment

Working...
                                        X