National Archives Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives Scotland

Not sure where to put this,so apologies if it is in the wrong place.
    I have been trying to get on the above site all day.I get a notice which says -connection interrupted.Is anyone else having a problem?
    Fran

Try The National Archives seems to work.

Comment

Thanks,but that link takes me to The National Archives at Kew.I want The National Archives of Scotland.
      Fran

Comment

Try the following website;

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Are you sure that you want National Archives for Scotland and not Scotlands People? SP is the main online site pay per view for all Scottish records from BMD/Census to Parish Records and Wills.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 11-07-09, 18:55.

Comment

Yes Janet I am sure.I was on that site about ten days ago using the 19th Century Solemn Database.I didn't save the site to favourites so Googled.I have also tried a link from Scotlands People but with no success.
          Fran

Comment

I can't get in either Fran. Have tried it both IE and Firefox but no joy. http://www.nas.gov.uk

Comment

Thanks Gallowaylass,At least it's not a problem just for me.Let's hope they mend it soon!
              Fran

Comment

Scottish people

Does anyone have access to people born in Scotland? I would like some help please as I live in Spain and difficult to access,
                Thanks
                Lyn

Comment

Originally posted by LynSpain View Post
                  Does anyone have access to people born in Scotland? I would like some help please as I live in Spain and difficult to access,
                  Thanks
                  Lyn
                  ScotlandsPeople

Comment

The National Archives | Search the archives | ARCHON Directory | Welcome

This works.

Comment

Thanks,I will give it a try

Comment

Fran, it's working today. Have just tried it.

Comment

Thank you GallowayLass.Just had a look but the record I wanted doesn't seem to be there yet.
                          Fran

Comment

Does anyone have access to people born in Scotland? I would like some help please as I live in Spain and difficult to access
                            If you give us some examples we can help you to look in the right place or point you at the appropriate pages in the WIKI. A useful first port of call is ScotlandsPeople at Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

This will give you an idea of what records they have online. The searching process is generally different from searching English BMDs and censuses. You can end up with a lot of information for not much money or waste a lot of money looking in the wrong place.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I am looking for relatives of Sophia Aitken Barr b 1904 and William Keith Finlay b 1903 Glasgow.I have her parents-Christina Brown and David Barr and 6 siblings,that is all,so any info you can help me with would be much appreciated !

Thank you

Comment

lynn, is you use scotlandspeople, you can get all of those birth records, and get back to at least 1855 in one afternoon!! only problem is it takes one credit to view your search results, and 5 credits to get one image.

Comment

I am looking for relatives of Sophia Aitken Barr b 1904 and William Keith Finlay b 1903 Glasgow.I have her parents-Christina Brown and David Barr and 6 siblings,that is all,so any info you can help me with would be much appreciated !

Thank you
                                  Can you give us the names/dates of the 6 siblings as there's a couple of Barr families on censuses where husband is David and wife is Christina

Comment

Jean,Alec,Hugh,Walter,Christina and Margret-thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                      lynn, is you use scotlandspeople, you can get all of those birth records, and get back to at least 1855 in one afternoon!! only problem is it takes one credit to view your search results, and 5 credits to get one image.
                                      Yes, I know I will have to go for it soon ! Thank you

Comment

I'm not having any luck matching things up for you with the Scottish transcriptions on ancestry.

The first family appears in 1881 and 1891

1881 residence 9 Pentland View, Pencuik, Midlothian
                                        BARR, David Head c.1837 Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. Paper mill labourer
                                        BARR, Christina Mc E Wife c.1843 Comrie, Perthshire
                                        BARR Elizabeth Dau. c.1865 Comrie, Perthshire. Paper mill worker
                                        BARR, David Son c.1866 Fermoy, Ireland. Paper mill worker
                                        BARR, Isabella Dau. c.1868 Kildare, Ireland. Scholar
                                        BARR, Charles Son c.1874 Malta. Scholar
                                        BARR, Archilbald Son c.1876 Perth, Perthshire. Scholar
                                        BARR, Christina Dau. c.1879 Perth, Perthshire
                                        BARR, Janet Dau. 1 month Penicuik, Midlothian

1891 residence 14 James Place, Penicuik, Midlothian
                                        BARR, David Head c.1837 Kilmarnock, Ayrshire. Paper mill labourer
                                        BARR, Christina Wife c.1843 Comrie, Perthshire
                                        BARR, David W Son c.1867 Ireland. Coal miner
                                        BARR, Charles Son c.1874 B S. Malta. Coal miner
                                        BARR, Archibald Son c.1877 Perth, Perthshire. Scholar
                                        BARR, Christina Dau. c.1879 Perth, Perthshire. Scholar
                                        BARR, Mary A Dau. c.1881 Penicuik, Midlothian. Scholar (her name Janet last time)

The other family are 1881 and 1901

1881 residence 120 South Portland Street, Gorbals, Glasgow
                                        BARR, David Head c.1846 Muirkirk, Ayrshire. Commercial traveller
                                        BARR, Christina Wife c.1852 Dalkeith, Edinburghshire
                                        KERR, James Boarder c.1858 Muirkirk, Ayrshire. Commercial traveller
                                        RAMSAY, Jemima General Servant (domestic) c.1862 Glasgow, Lanarkshire

1901 residence 50 Glencairn Drive, Govan, Glasgow
                                        BARR, David Head c.1846 Ayr, Ayrshire. Draper
                                        BARR, Christina Wife c.1852 Dalkeith, Midlothian
                                        BARR, Christina Dau. c.1883 Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Scholar
                                        FLEMING, Jennie General Servant c.1877 Ardwell, Wigtonshire. (that should be Ardwall, Wigtownshire)

This doesn't really help you much but hopefully there's something there to ring a bell! I'll look to see where the 2nd family went in 1891.

Comment

Working...
                                        X