• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Theophilus?

Hi,
    I'd appreciate any help with this one.

I have Theophilus Harper b1852 in Camberwell. He's on the 1861 census here
    RG9; Piece: 344; Folio: 163; Page: 15 as a pupil with Richard Bruce who is a relation by marriage.

I can't find Theophilus anywhere on the censuses after that. I know he is still alive in 1896 when his mother Barbara Harper dies as he is mentioned in her will which was made a few days before her death.

His mother Barbara is on the 1871 census here RG10; Piece: 704; Folio: 31; Page: 5; but he's not with her.

Margaret

Have you got his birth cert:

Theophilus Harper
    1852 Jan-Feb-Mar
    Camberwell 1d Page:457
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Apart from that birth index and the 1861 census I can't find him either!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Does the will indicate where he was living? There's a Theophilus Harper on the Ancestry New York Passenger Lists, but I don't have access to see the details.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

The FamilySearch Pilot Site has Theophilus Harper age 19, born England, in Canada in 1871. Religion Church of Scotland, census place 01, Buckingham a, Ottawa Centre 94, Quebec

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Have you got his birth cert:

Theophilus Harper
            1852 Jan-Feb-Mar
            Camberwell 1d Page:457
            Yes I have, thanks Little Nell
            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
              Does the will indicate where he was living? There's a Theophilus Harper on the Ancestry New York Passenger Lists, but I don't have access to see the details.

scuda
              Thanks Scuda, no the will only mentions him and other children. I have seen that passenger list entry but can't find him on the US census at all.

I don't think he'd be the one in Canada as he would have been either CofE or Methodist, his grandfather was a non-conformist Minister.
              Margaret

Comment

How about Theo Harper born January 1852, in USA in 1901. Census image on FamilySearch Pilot Site.

scuda

Comment

If you look at the 1901 census image and see the details of his wife and children, I think it's quite possible he's the one in Canada in 1871

scuda

Comment

How about Theo Harper born January 1852, in USA in 1901. Census image on FamilySearch Pilot Site.

scuda
                    Hi, Thanks that looks quite promising so I will have a check around US for later censuses. I think I'll send for his birth cert too as it's registered in Mar 1852 so could be a January date.

Great thanks!
                    Margaret

Comment

If you look at the 1901 census image and see the details of his wife and children, I think it's quite possible he's the one in Canada in 1871

scuda
                      I think you are likely right on that as some of the children are born in Canada. It's the Church of Scotland bit that's bugging me.
                      Anyway I can now look for a marriage in Canada and see if that will help.

Great work thanks
                      Margaret

Comment

Theo's wife was from Scotland, and it seems they married in the early 1870s so they may have been courting in 1871. Theo may well have transferred his allegiance to the C of S if it meant being able to meet (or even just see) Margaret on a Sunday.

scuda

Comment

Theo's wife was from Scotland, and it seems they married in the early 1870s so they may have been courting in 1871. Theo may well have transferred his allegiance to the C of S if it meant being able to meet (or even just see) Margaret on a Sunday.

scuda
                          I think you are right and I expect the Church of Scotland was not a lot different to the Methodist movement in England.
                          I found a marriage record for Theophilus Harper to Margaret Wilson for 12 May 1873 but it doesn't show their fathers names :(
                          I shall have to see if I can order the certificate and hope that will show more.
                          Margaret

Comment

Margaret, How did you find that marriage? I have a couple of relatives who went to Canada in the mid-19th century, but I've never found where to look for their marriages or deaths.

I hope the certificate for Theophilus confirms that he's yours.

scuda

Comment

Margaret, How did you find that marriage? I have a couple of relatives who went to Canada in the mid-19th century, but I've never found where to look for their marriages or deaths.

I hope the certificate for Theophilus confirms that he's yours.

scuda
                              I found it on this site https://www.bms2000.org/Default.aspx
                              You can search and see whether or not there are any results without paying but to get the full record you need to pay.
                              Don't buy any credits as I have loads left and am unlikely to need them myself. Let me know if you want to download any records.
                              Margaret
                              Last edited by margaretmarch; 11-07-09, 15:36.

Comment

Thanks for the link Margaret, I'd not come across that site before. I can't see any of mine so far, but I'll bear your offer in mind if I spot someone.

scuda

Comment

Working...
                                X