census please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census please

i'm looking for joseph shearman b.1798, orton, westmoreland, and his wife agnes formerly carter, b.1788. in the 1841/51 census. i don't know where they are, but im guessing westmoreland. they emigrated to australia after the 1851. im not sure when though, as joseph died in glenlyon in victoria in 1866. and agnes in 1878.

and could someone please find joseph's brother's william b.1791 and robert shearman b.1785. william married a margaret adcock in victoria in 1856, and i don't know what became of robert, but he may have married peggy wilson in orton in 1815.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 11-07-09, 07:41.

I may have found them in Orton, Westmorland:

Joseph Shearman, 40, Ag Lab
    Agnes, 43
    William, 13
    George, 10
    All born in county

HO107 piece 1158 folio 9/9 page 13

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

thank you scuda, that is them. now i have a birth year for george too.

Comment

1841 living Orton Town
        Joseph Shearman 40 ag lab
        Agnes Shearman 43
        William Shearman 13
        George Shearman 10
        Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1158; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Orton; County: Westmorland; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: ; Page: 13; Line: 18; GSU roll: 464189.
        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

I`m too slow as usual

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

dont worry sylvia, i always get beat, specially when i think ive been really smart!!

william b.1791 seems to have married an elizabeth wilson in 1809 at orton. she may have died by 1841 though.
            Last edited by kylejustin; 11-07-09, 07:54.

Comment

william and elizabeth had the following kids, all at orton:

george b.1812
              robert b.1809
              william b.1815
              thomasina and margaret b.1821
              and thomas b.1833

Comment

This could be Robert and William together in Orton:

Robert Shearman, 57, Ag Lab
                William Shearman, 49, Mole Catcher

HO107 piece 1158 folio 9/6 page 7

scuda
                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

There are 2 Williams in 1841, both Orton Westmorland

William Shearman 55
                  Elizabeth Shearman 50
                  Thomas Shearman 8
                  Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1158; Book: 9; Civil Parish: Orton; County: Westmorland; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 9; Page: 12; Line: 5; GSU roll: 464189.

John Burton 45
                  Mary Burton 45
                  Isabella Burton 43
                  Robert Burton 9
                  Ernkpuel Burton 11
                  Mary McQuire 13
                  William Shearman 50
                  Richard Whounsby 45
                  William Nicholson 20
                  Ben Johnson 15
                  Agnes Johnson 18
                  John Roach 35
                  Margaret Bell 70
                  Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1158; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Orton; County: Westmorland; Enumeration District: 7B; Folio: ; Page: 9; Line: 7; GSU roll: 464189.
                  Sylvia

Comment

OR

How about Robert & Peggy:

Robert Shearman, 52, Innkeeper
                    Peggy, 46
                    Robert, 20
                    Thomasin, 15
                    Robert Hully(?), 4
                    Francis Hully, 59 (can't make out occupation)

The Shearmans all born in county, the Hullys out of county

HO107 piece 1158 folio 9/7 page 8

scuda

Comment

i've just been on the igi, and it looks like robert b.1785 married a peggy wilson in 1815 at orton. so robert the innkeeper and peggy look good.
                      william b.1791 seems to have married an elizabeth wilson in 1809, so that one looks good to. maybe elizabeth and peggy are sisters?

i wonder who robert the ag lab and william the mole catcher are?

Comment

How do you know it's YOUR Robert that married Peggy. There are obviously duplicate Roberts and Williams in Orton. If this was my family I would be trying to find all of them in 1851 and onwards to make sure I was grabbing the correct ones!

scuda

Comment

i just pulled out grandma's folder, to see what she did have. she had it that robert married peggy wilson. but there wasnt any more info. he seems to have stayed in england.
                          we know joseph came to australia, and his wife's name was agnes, so he wasn't hard to sort.
                          william came to australia and married margaret adcock in 1858. except 67 is very old for a first marriage. plus he had a robert with this elizabeth, which is the name of joseph, robert and william's father, he had a george, which is an uncommon name in the family, and comes from william's mother, and there was a thomasina too, and william's niece was called thomasina.
                          the brothers had three sisters, mary b.1786 and i have nothing on her, ellen who died as a baby, and ellen b.1796 who married john palmer, she is my 4th great grandmother.
                          so if it's not my william and robert, then they are very close cousins, something that will be hard to prove, as i am stuck with their father robert shearman 1760-1822.
                          Last edited by kylejustin; 11-07-09, 08:52.

Comment

In 1851, William the molecatcher is with Joseph & Agnes:

Joseph Shearman Head M 55 Ag Lab b Orton
                            Agnes Wife M 57 b Underbarrow
                            William Brother U 60 Mole Catcher, Weaver b Dillib--

Class: HO107; Piece: 2439; Folio: 462; Page: 12; GSU roll: 87120.

That suggests to me that the Robert who married Peggy was not yours. I think you need the Robert who was with William the mole catcher in 1841.

scuda

Comment

so in 1851, is it robert or william with joseph and agnes?

Comment

There is the death of Robert Shearman in E Ward in Q2 1845. This could be the one who was with the molecatcher in 1841, hence the molecatcher had moved in with brother Joseph by 1851.

In 1851 the birthplace of Robert the Innkeeper looks like Crosbyrar (sure that can't be right). Does that give you any clues?

scuda

Comment

In 1851 it was William with Joseph & Agnes, as I said. I was suggesting that it was likely that he was with his other brother, Robert, in 1841, which means that Robert the ag lab is the one you need, not Robert the Innkeeper. Hope that makes semnse!

scuda

Comment

yes that place makes sense. robert the innkeeper was born in crosby ravensworth, which fits with the christening of one in 1788 at ravensworth to robert shearman and thomasin saunderson. there was also a william and a thomas as well as 2 isabelle's, and a mary as well.

so, robert the ag lab, may never have married, and william the mole catcher was unmarried till he met margaret adcock in australia.

so what are the crosby ravensworth shearmans doing in orton?

Comment

the francis hully with robert the innkeeper married an elizabeth shearman in 1837.

Comment

Working...
                                      X