Never noticed that before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never noticed that before

I have been trying to help a distant cousin of my oh, they have a common ancestor born in 1794 only listed as Ireland.

Looking in the trees on Ancestry to see if i can figure out which part of Ireland, i came across one that has almost 48, 000 people on it.

My surprise was under historical records on the page for the ancestor in question, it said "Public Member Trees" clicked on it and it takes you to my tree.

I don`t know if i should be flattered to think someone thinks my tree is so correct or annoyed not to be asked.

I didn`t know you could link your tree with another one.

Sylvia
    Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 11-07-09, 07:34.
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Sylvia, folk seem to think because you put your tree out on the internet it's there for the taking.
    Not enough manners to consider requesting to use other folks work and then rude enough to be passing it off as their own.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Your right Daphne, but the link to my tree for the sources is a bit of a cheek

Sylvia
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

My tree on Ancestry is not a public one and it's ages since I put it on so don't know exactly what settings I used.

There may be an option to deny tree links with other members, or perhaps this is not possible if your tree is a public one.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I have 3 on there Gillian, my side of the family and the one i am helping this distant cousin build (we can both Edit) are private, might have to make OHs private too.

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Comment

I think if you make them private it will break the link.

Although I think there should be a set up wherebye you have to ask the tree owner if you can link even if it is Public. But obviously they think if its public you don't mind or wouldn't care or they just don't care or have any manners to be honest!
            Last edited by Guest; 11-07-09, 10:56.

Comment

Maybe the link is intended as an acknowledgement, rather than a crib?

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-07-09, 12:52.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think the photos and images that are uploaded to Ancestry become available to all, even when the tree is private.

Comment

yes Trina you're right - something I didn't realise until I started getting tips for my own thankfully limited scraps of info
                  J

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                    I may be wrong, but I think the photos and images that are uploaded to Ancestry become available to all, even when the tree is private.
                    I didn`t know that, i have photos on my private trees, but not my public one, would someone like to test it please, do you need full dates?

Gertrude Fletcher 1879-1945 in Tomlinson/Fletcher/Gough tree

Sylvia
                    Sylvia

Comment

Sylvia - I am not given the option to view the photos attached to Gertrude.
                      Gillian

Comment

If I go in via the photo section, I can see the details of where the 1925 one was taken, but the images are not shown.
                        Gillian

Comment

Thank you Gillian, there are 4 photos of Gertrude and that one in 1925 is a group of the family.

Sylvia
                          Sylvia

Comment

I think it happens if you have the tree as public at any point. Although all mine are private, my main one was becoming too unweildy, so to make it easier to transfer information to a new one I briefly made it public. I think the images became public from then on - even though the tree went private!
                            Something to bear in mind if you are tempted to do the same thing!

Comment

Hi Sylvia, Just had a look for your photos and they can't be seen. They only say that some are there in a private tree. Only the public ones are on view.

Annette
                              oakes63 passed away in September 2021

Comment

Thank you Annette and welcome to FTF

Sylvia
                                Sylvia

Comment

Working...
                                X