Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about proposed changes at Kew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about proposed changes at Kew?

I picked up on this off a Rootsweb mailing list post...

Changes to public services at The National Archives | The National Archives

30 June 2009

The National Archives proposes a number of changes to its operations and public services. The proposals include closure of the Kew reading room to the public on Mondays, and a new daily charge for car parking on the Kew site. We anticipate that the changes will be implemented from early 2010.
    There's a Q&A section - and an opportunity for feedback.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Well I'm not happy about them closing the reading room on Mondays, as that's my only day off work and I always go then, am off there this monday as it happens. I wonder if the car park charging will apply to disabled parking as the friend I usually go with has a blue badge and we usually use one of the disabled spaces round the back. Will try and find out a bit more on monday.
    :D Carolyn

Comment

Hi Carolyn, I would be interested to know if they are going to charge for the disabled bays too
      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Oh dear closing on a Monday and car park charging is not good news even though I do get there very often. Going by underground is a pain! We have six months to get on with any research! I have to say it is a lot harder to park at TNA these days, so I suppose the pressure on car parking space is causing the need to charge for carparking.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 11-07-09, 10:57.

Comment

Oh god more ways to get money into the coffers...

The trouble is all it does is target those that can ill afford it.

This comment is totally contradictory

"These changes to our Kew service reflect the growth in demand from our online customers, who account for over 90 per cent of our usage, and are unaffected by these changes."

So why change it then!

Well this is why

"The National Archives has taken a strategic approach and identified changes that will put the organisation in a strong financial position."

The trouble is in a recession when you do this you price yourself out of the market. You don't make more money you lose the money you're already making because other people have to cut costs too and so charging for something you never did before will cut your clientele down not increase it.

These people never learn but that's the civil service for you. If they had to run a purely private company they'd fall over at the first hurdle. Small minded people without any strategic aforesight.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-07-09, 11:38.

Comment

Perhaps we should consider availing ourselves of the Feedback links?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Perhaps we should consider availing ourselves of the Feedback links?

Christine
              Oh yes.

Comment

Working...
              X