Ancestry alternate names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry alternate names

I'm looking for a George Frederick Cayley (somtimes mistranscribed as Cagley) b 1854 in Islington (he's in Sussex by 1871) and on Ancestry have found a George Parrott in Terwick Sussex with an alternate name of Cayley.

How do I look at why someone thinks this is an alternate name/who submitted the info?

(One of our FTF members has him in her tree but she has not been active here since she joined in Feb 2009)
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 10-07-09, 19:05. Reason: typo

Not everyone who submits corrections leaves a contact trail. If they do, there's usually a user-name for the person who made the correction, and that acts as a link to teh Ancestry internal PM system.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thankyou Christine, in this particular case it seems there does not appear to be any way of contacting the submitter.

Comment

That's so frustrating, when it's a name you're chasing!

They might have the name in the Trees section? They might be contactable that way?
        Or in the Boards?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've found George Frederick Cayley's birth reference, so I think I'll send for it.

Comment

It's not obvious why that addition should be there in 1861...

William MILLS is "wife's son" and there's a Mar-Q 1852 Midhurst marriage of George PARROTT & Elizabeth MILLS (or, at least, those are two of the four names). And there's a Dec-Q 1852 Midhurst George PARROTT birth registered - in fact it looks as if he had a twin sister, Harriett.

Christine

Comment

I've now sent for the Cayley birth cert, he is on the 1871 census as grandson of my direct ancestors John & Esther Glazier in Henley Hill nr Fernhurst, Sussex.

Yesterday I received Esther's death cert for 20 Nov 1872 "Burned to death by falling into fire while in a fainting fit produced by senile decay" which prompted me to go back to the 1871 census which I haven't looked at for 4 years or so, which is when I realised I had overlooked the grandson.

Comment

I found a reference to George Frederick Caley on this website as a World War II casualty. Could this be a relative?

Comment

Thats interesting Aislin, I've been taking the family forward, and he had a son of this name (though the spelling of the surname is different, but I know how flexible name spelling can be)

Comment

Don't know if I have mentioned it before on here. Have you tried putting a surname down as a Christian name on Ancestry nothing in the surname box? I have found many female lines that way. Remember to try also surname variants in there

Comment

That's a very good idea.

Comment

It looks like the person with the Ancestry alternate name is a red herring, a lady on GR has been able to give me details of my George's parents and says his mother was Mary Glazier who is a daughter of my John & Esther, which I hope will be confirmed by the birth cert I've ordered.

update 17/07 the cert arrived today which confirms he is Mary Glazier's son
                        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 17-07-09, 21:34. Reason: confirmation

Comment

Working...
                        X