WW2 service records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 service records

Has anyone applied for these and is there more information in them than in the Certificate of Service that was issued on discharge.

If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

I am not sure that I can help but will start it off.
    I have two sets of Service Records that include WW2 but they were both regular soldiers.. I don't know if this makes a difference... nor am I sure what a Certificate of Service is or what is included in it.

The Service Records have date of birth,
    Where and when enlisted
    Service Number and Regiment.
    Medals awarded
    Dates of transfers to operations or training.
    Description and identifying marks.
    The next of kin as decided by the soldier
    Address of both soldier and next of kin.
    My father had seven pages of charge sheets but my son in laws g/f had no charges.. just "exemplory "
    I believe that they have details of wounds etc but those wounds suffered by MacPherson were treated in the Stalags so no information on his record.
    The records cost £35 and are from Glasgow

May be someone else may have more information

Comment

Hi Colin,thanks for replying
      It was the Army and I have found a website, the Certificate of Service is a little red booklet with not a lot in it and I wondered if there was more in the Service Record---I suppose depending on how much went on ---my Father in Law was injured in Cassino,Italy so it may have a bit more about that in it.

If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble. ~Bob Hope

Comment

Hello Ann,
        WW2 Service Records have to be applied for in writing together with proof of your relationship to him and big fat cheque which you now know about.

Address: Army Personnel Centre
        Historical Disclosures
        Mail Point 535
        Kentigem House
        65 Brown Street
        Glasgow G2 8EX

Phone 0141 224 8034

They can be very informative, I found out a lot about me when I applied for mine.

Comment

Hi Ann

I've got my granda's red service book & also his pay book. I sent off for his records & didn't think I would find anything else out but I did, got about 20 A3 sheets full of info.
          Jay

Comment

Thanks all of you for that info---think I'll send for them then.

Comment

Working...
            X