Vision of Britain - maps for the researcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision of Britain - maps for the researcher

A vision of Britain through time | Including maps, statistical trends and historical descriptions.

The Vision of Britain website has now been improved with many more maps. The best of bunch is the Ordnance Survey First Series 1:63360, 170 sheets covering England and Wales, 1805 to 1869. These have been scanned so that every detail is clearly shown. Much better quality than seen on some other websites.

Also available is the Ordnance Survey of Scotland First Series 1:63360, 130 sheets covering Scotland, 1856 to 1887

Also of interest in the Ordnance Survey of Great Britain New Popular Edition 1:63360, 114 sheets covering England and Wales, 1945 to 1948. A glimpse of Britain before modern housing developments and the motorways changed the face of Britain.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

What a fabulous site for any mapaholics! I now have do decide whether or not to let my husband and elder son know about this!! ;) They may never be seen again!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

When I was young, the main maps of our area my father had were wartime ones produced in Germany!
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        When I was young, the main maps of our area my father had were wartime ones produced in Germany!
        "wonders why*
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I think someone at work gave them to him.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X