Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martha Randall: Where Did You Came From??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martha Randall: Where Did You Came From??

I'm looking for the baptism (and parentage) of my 3 x great grandmother Martha Randall.

A distant cousin of mine (and a contact of another cousin) did some family history research whilst over in England and came to the conclusion that she was born in London. Unfortunately, I never got any reply to my queries as to where she got that information.

The only information I've got is her marriage record and the names of her children (she died in 1830, before the first census). I've already looked for her on the Docklands Ancestors website and come up empty. I have found one entry on the IGI that could be her (daughter of William and Ann) but without more evidence I'm not willing to accept it as yet.

Below is the transcription of the marriage, kindly looked up for me by someone on another website. I'm posting it the same way it was given to me:

Marriage Reg: William Tickle and Martha Randall both of this parish
    were married in this church by Banns
    this 16th day of March in the year 1811 by me Edw Wilkins
    This marriage was solumnized between us
    William Tickle Martha Randall (both signed their names)
    in the presence of John Bayley Sakery (signed)
    M Stanley (signed but he's the parish professional witness, his name is all over the register)

I haven't been able to find any trace of a John Bayley Sakery: nothing on freereg, the IGI, or any of the censuses.

As for her children, a few non-Tickle names do show up which may be clues: Henry (their second son), Hannah (their second daughter), and (maybe) Anne (their eldest daughter): this does show up in the early Tickle generations but hadn't appeared in a while.

The family moved to Birmingham (William's native place) a few years after the marriage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just as a matter of interest, I'm looking for an Ann Tickle from Birmingham, born c. 1824, parents Joseph and Sarah, who emigrated to Australia sometime before 1851, probably before 1841. If you ever come across her, let me know

Bear in mind that in some parts of the Midlands, Randall was spelled Randle, and Tickle has a lot of variant spellings, such as Teakle and Tickell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
      Just as a matter of interest, I'm looking for an Ann Tickle from Birmingham, born c. 1824, parents Joseph and Sarah, who emigrated to Australia sometime before 1851, probably before 1841. If you ever come across her, let me know

Bear in mind that in some parts of the Midlands, Randall was spelled Randle, and Tickle has a lot of variant spellings, such as Teakle and Tickell.
      I'll keep an eye out for Ann Tickle. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a Joseph Tickle yet in my family (it isn't a family name).

I wasn't familiar with that variant (Randle), so thank you.

Comment

by Tanyal:
        M Stanley (signed but he's the parish professional witness, his name is all over the register)
        It may be true that he's the local professional witness (i.e. probably a verger or sexton or churchwarden or parish clerk or some such), but it doesn't follow that he is definitely not related - you just have to view him as a less-likely candidate for inclusion.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          It may be true that he's the local professional witness (i.e. probably a verger or sexton or churchwarden or parish clerk or some such), but it doesn't follow that he is definitely not related - you just have to view him as a less-likely candidate for inclusion.

Christine
          I guess you're right: when you're clutching at straws you should include straws that are dubious as well. :D

Comment

Originally posted by tanyal View Post
            I guess you're right: when you're clutching at straws you should include straws that are dubious as well. :D
            It was easier for me - I knew it was quite likely that OH's ancestor would be in that position - so I wasn't surprised to see him witnessing lots of marriages, especially of his own family members.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The problem is that initial: M. I wonder what it stands for.

Comment

There is a Tree on Ancestry with this couple in them.

William Tickle

Parents George Tickle and Mary

baptised 29 Dec 1788
                St Phillips, Birmingham
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                  There is a Tree on Ancestry with this couple in them.

William Tickle

Parents George Tickle and Mary

baptised 29 Dec 1788
                  St Phillips, Birmingham
                  Yes, that's William's baptism (his parents were George Tickle and Mary (Molly) Williams). I've already contacted the author of that tree (thank you, anyway, for looking. )

I've got my Tickle line back to 1689 but I think I won't be able to go any further. :(

Comment

Working...
                  X