Montgomery Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montgomery Family

Hi My name is Monty59. I have just begun researching my Family Tree. I am trying to find a link between Bernard Law Montgomery 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamien Born 1887 England and my Grandfather Cyril Horace Jenkins Montgomery Born 1889 Melbourne Australia. There must be a member our my tree that immigrated from England to Australia in the 1800 onwards that links to my Mother's Family Montgomery. Can any one help with this information.;)

Hello and welcome to the site Monty ;;if you click onto gedcom and search you can check if anyone on site has any same names for you , by name or place dear;;;hope you enjoy your stay here , you will find some very helpful people on here ;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hello Monty and Welcome to FTF.

Have you got your grandfather's birth cert? That is certainly what you want first. That will give you his parents' names, etc. Then work back.

You're not thinking they were brothers, are you??? If so, then Bernard would be on Cyril's birth cert.

If they are more likely cousins, you will need to work back (with certs for every person) then come forward again.

Have you tried google? Google Books may be some help as well. I've found a lot of help from Google books with the couple of famous people I've been linking.

Comment

Hi, Monty, and welcome to FTF.

As Harry's mum says, you need your grandfather's birth certificate to make any real progress.

There is a possibility that you have Scottish roots, as there are many Montgomery people north of the border. We have a living Montgomery in our tree, a lovely chap, and he is English via India and Scotland!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

You can find details of your grandfather's parents here:

I've checked the online electoral rolls, but he's always shown living in Fitzroy with his wife (Florence) Mabel, not his parents.

Do you have any confirmation that there is actually a link? Bear in mind that family stories sometimes turn out to be more wishful thinking than fact

Comment

Ah, family stories ....

My mother-in-law told us that she was related to Dr Thomas Barnado ....

Just this week I found the link! Not a close link by any stretch of the imagination: his half-sister was the mother of the woman who married the brother of my mother-in-law's grandfather!!!:(:D

Monty, it should be fun to research, at the very least!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I forgot to mention it earlier, but my Montgomerys came from Ireland to Australia in the 1820s.

Needless to say I haven't found anything further back.....lol

Comment

My Grand Father Cyril Horace Jenkins Montgomery born 3-5-1889 was married to Florence Mabel Brewer 12-12-1881. Cyril's father was Henry Montgomery born 1820c Married to Alice Marie Lesurieur/ Lesueur born 1820c
                Cheers for info Monty

Comment

Monty................I have a problem with those dates...

If Cyril was born 1889, Alice couldn't have been his mother if she was born c 1820s.
                  Either Henry remarried a younger woman who had Cyril or you have missed a generation, I think.

Do you have Cyril's birth cert? You really can't go further back without that. It will(should) give both parents ages and places of birth.

Comment

I've just checked on the Victoria BMD site (free search), and his mother was indeed Alice Marie Lesurieur. The correct spelling was probably Lesueur, which I think is a Channel Islands name (Jersey/Guernsey).

However, if I put in Henry for the father's Christian name or Montgomery for the father's surname, there are no hits. It seems odd that his father's surname wasn't Montgomery, but his was.

You can get brief details on the VIC BMD site for $ 0.99:

but as Libby says, I think you need the full cert.

Libby, is the birth not on your AVRI disc?

Comment

OK, found Alice Marie Montgomery in the 1909 electoral roll, living in Fitzroy with Henry Clarence Arthur Montgomery.

I've tried the BMD search again; if I put Hy (abbreviation for Henry) in the father's Christian name box, there is a hit. Still no hits for Montgomery as the father's surname, but if I put Hy in the father's surname box there's still a hit, so I think there must be a mistake in the index. No hits if I add the names Arthur and Clarence.

So it looks as though Henry and Alice were Cyril's parents, but at least Alice's birthdate's wrong.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-07-09, 13:11.

Comment

Getting confused here.

There's a marriage in Vic in 1882 between Henry Montgomery and Alice Lesueur.

Henry and Alice Marie are together in the 1914 electoral roll, living in Carlton.

There's also another Henry Clarence Arthur Montgomery in 1914, living with wife Ruby Muriel (married in 1913), but I think this must be the son of Henry and Alice Marie.

There's a death for Alice Marie Montgomery in 1917.

Comment

You could have a look at Dictionary of National Biography or Who Was Who in a big library in Australia and that will tell you about the parents and life of General Montgomery. You can then soon tell whether or not the story you have of being related is true or false!

Janet

Comment

There is an Australian connection: Monty's father Henry became Bishop of Tasmania in 1889:

Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Monty's grandfather:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...(administrator)

and a submitted entry from the IGI:

Robert Montgomery
                              Male

Event(s):
                              Birth: 12 DEC 1809 Of New Moville Park, , Donegal, Ireland

Christening:
                              Death: 28 DEC 1887

Burial: 03 JAN 1888 Londonderry, Londonderry, Ireland

Parents:
                              Father: Samuel Lan Montgomery
                              Mother: Susan Marie McClintock

Marriages:
                              Spouse: Frances Mary Thomason
                              Marriage: 17 DEC 1834 , , India

Comment

Children of Robert and Frances (IGI, submitted)):

1. MARY SUSAN MONTGOMERY
                                Gender: Female Birth: 08 NOV 1838 Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
                                2. FRANCES MARY MONTGOMERY
                                Gender: Female Birth: 10 OCT 1835 Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
                                3. ROBERT THOMASON MONTGOMERY
                                Gender: Male Birth: 17 DEC 1836 Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
                                4. FRANCES MARY MONTGOMERY
                                5. FRANCES MARY MONTGOMERY
                                Gender: Female Christening: 17 JAN 1836 Azinghur, , West Bengal, India

Comment

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry which have the names of Monty's 8 siblings. None of them match your Henry Clarence Arthur.

Comment

Hi Guys
                                    Thanks for all your work. I found Sir Roberts Montgomery wife to be Ellen Jane Lambert. I wonder where she fits into to my puzzle.
                                    Regards monty59

Comment

Mary Hi
                                      You have posted Robert and Frances children but where is the link to Henry Hutchins Montgomery who married Maud Farrar Father & Mother of Bernard Law Montgomery 1st Viscount come in?
                                      Regards Monty59

Comment

According to my research Henry Hutchins Montgomery was the second son of sir Robert Montgomery. Sir Robert died a month after Bernard Law Montgomery was born. Regards Monty59

Comment

Working...
                                        X