Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Ancestry gone mad?

Or is it me .....?

Haven't used it for ages, and for some reason, I can't find the birth indexes - the ones where you looked through the original pages.

I can only find a transcribed index for 1915 onwards, or a browse by initial option.

Where have they hidden the rest please?

I would also like to know the answer to this question as I have been looking for them too.

Jill

Comment

It doesn't look like that option is still available, or at least I can't see it either.

In theory, you should be able to find anyone you are looking for in the transcribed pages.
      I didn't know until today that they'd done the same for the marriages, and hopefully the deaths will soon follow.
      Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

This has happened because they have transcribed all the images so there is no need (in theory) to look at them any more.
        Margaret

Comment

You can stilll search by quarters but it's more fiddly to get to that stage.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915 - Ancestry.co.uk

This is the only link still offered, I think. It takes you to the transcribed index, and you have to work from there.

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post
              Or is it me .....?

Haven't used it for ages, and for some reason, I can't find the birth indexes - the ones where you looked through the original pages.

I can only find a transcribed index for 1915 onwards, or a browse by initial option.

Where have they hidden the rest please?
              The original pages are not hidden. They are linked to the entries.

Click on the person you want view to get to the summary page and on the top right of the summary is a sample index page with a link underneath which says "view image". Click on this or on the sample page and you are taken to the original index page, same as before.

Comment

Working...
              X