Irish occupations which site ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish occupations which site ?

where would I look to find any records of a Michael and Patrick Keegan Father and Son ,Train Drivers in Ireland in the late 1800s thanks

Gizza clue to location, Val. There were several main-line railway companies and innumerable light railways (e.g. the Tralee and Dingle). Most got taken over by "English" railway companies in the big "Grouping" of 1923 which gave rise to the LMS, LNER, GWR and SR. I know that some Irish companies were in the LMS group. Most of the light railways stayed independent.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I only know they lived in Cork, Patrick was one on his daughters birth certs in 1894 and again on his daughters marriage in 1920 both in Cork
      Michael his Father was one on Patricks wedding cert in 1890 again in Cork

Comment

There were two local railways with stations in Cork, The Cork Blackrock and Passage Railway (taken over by the GSR about 1921) and the Cork and Muskerry Light Railway (taken over by the GSR in 1925). The Great Southern Railway (GSR) was the main-line railway serving Cork.

I have no idea where the GSR records have ended up.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thanks Uncle John that gives me a lead

Comment

There is a railway museum attached to Dublin railway station at Heuston, and they are supposed to hold the records for railway people. I have been in contact twice with no joy, but when I was last in contact they had nothing for people pre 1920ish! Certainly no records available for those in the 1800's! I did read somewhere that some records were at TNA Kew, bearing in mind that Ireland was under British rule until 1922 but I have not pursued that one yet!

The Great Southern was the main line for Cork.

If you find any records please let me know as I have been searching for rail records in County Cork and Tipperary for almost 20 years! I have a few books with gleanings of information and one book on Blackpool Cork includes a picture of a cousin on the footplate of his locomotive in Cork City. He was an engine driver.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 10-07-09, 09:20.

Comment

will do Janet

Comment

Just thought I'd say after all these years I finally found a newspaper report for Patrick Keegan, Train Driver, and he was with the Muskerry Light Railway, I know it is him as the Guard was a Nicholas Walsh, who was a witness on Patrick's Wedding.
                So getting nearer .

Comment

That is good news Val. Just shows how perseverance pays off. The newspapers have been invaluable to me.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I have found some good and bad stuff on there, was hoping to find a wedding announcement, or maybe a death notice, but found this instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      Just thought I'd say after all these years I finally found a newspaper report for Patrick Keegan, Train Driver, and he was with the Muskerry Light Railway, I know it is him as the Guard was a Nicholas Walsh, who was a witness on Patrick's Wedding.
                      So getting nearer .
                      Val,that is great news. I really ought to check Irish newspapers for my lot as I have about 7 Engine drivers and one lost an arm so surely that should be in the newspaper somewhere.

Janet

Comment

I found mine on the FMP Newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          So getting nearer .
                          Wonderful news, very pleased for you.
                          Joy

Comment

thanks Joy ,its quite extraordinary what records they have now.

Comment

Working...
                            X