Help finding a London street please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding a London street please

Have just received the birth certificate of Jane Glasspool born 1848 at 4 Norfolk Street, Lambeth.

Looked on quite a few sites but can't find it anywhere. Would like to know it's whereabouts so I can do a trawl through 1851 and try and find the elusive Glasspool family on there, although they may have moved by then.

I have an 1894 Ordnance Survey Map of the area but I think the road I want may be just off the top of it.

Thanks

Linda

Linda

Norfolk Street, St Mary the Less, LAMBETH
    Norfolk Street, Lambeth Church, LAMBETH

Victorian London Streets - N

If you join "Curious Fox" you can get free access to Old Maps (which you would otherwise have to pay for!).

Find other people looking for the same family history in any county, town or village in the UK and Ireland. ÂSearch by surname and/or location. See nearby villages, see nearby entries...

Why is Old Maps no longer available? Over the last 10 years Landmark has partnered with the team at Old Maps to sell our historical mapping data to consumers keen to learn about local history or purchase printed maps for personal or decorative use. Viewing and printing these maps from the Old Maps website was […]

Geoff.
    Last edited by Geoff Devon; 09-07-09, 16:46.
    Woodcock(Dudley...Worcestershire Broseley...Shropshire) Woodley & Allen(Herts/Essex/London/Kent/Surrey... & NSW/Vic/Queensland... AUS) and MANY, MANY more...!

Sherlock always gets a result

Comment

I found these: (I love GoogleEarth)

4 Norfolk Place London

4 Norfolk House Road Lambeth

Comment

HI

Since you have the brith cert and if you need help who were the parents of Jane Glasspool?
        WendyP

Comment

Hi Wendy,

Yes I do need some help fimding this family but have some visitors at the moment.

Can I get back to you tomorrow...would appreciate some help

Linda

Thanks Aislin

Comment

Norfolk St, Lambeth is on the 1881 census (which is address searchable on Ancestry) but it only had 11 house numbers, so was presumably a very short street - maybe a close or even just a terrace of houses. In 1881 it was in enumeration district 27. If you then look at the description of that district, it mentions Norfolk St as being "on the east side of New St". I found New St on Greenwoods 1827 map of London - it seems to have been renamed Newburn St on the modern map, between Orsett St and Sancroft St. Therefore, Norfolk St must have been around there somewhere. It's no longer there, and in fact is not on Booth's map of 1898 either, so must have gone by then even.

Comment

Found it! It was Norfolk Place in 1851, then Norfolk Road in 1861/71/81. Unfortunately your Glasspools weren't there in any year. The heads of household at No 4 were:

1851 - Philip Coates, HO107/1572/187/24
              1861 - William Harper, RG9/347/11/2
              1871 - James Watts, RG10/666/111/24
              1881 - Emily J Gardiner, RG11/597/59/32

Cheers,
              Richard

Comment

Hi Richard,

That's so kind of you

They are being VERY elusive on 1851. I have them on every census after that. Albeit mistranscribed as Glappool on one census and having George the head as 22 instead of 42.

On the 1861 census the are living at 22 New Street (right next door?)

Oh well off for another search

Just found a Norfolk Row on a current London Streetfinder map right in that area so you are probably right it may have just been a little row of houses

Thanks again

Linda
                Linda
                Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 10-07-09, 07:28.

Comment

Working...
                X