Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

remember Beatrice Oakes b 1884 Garston ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remember Beatrice Oakes b 1884 Garston ?

Hi...about 8 weeks ago I posted I couldn`t find marriages for 3 sisters of my g grandfather...one of them was Beatrice Oakes b 1884 Garston....
    well someone from Australia (a descendant of Beatrices- brother Daniel Oakes b 1880) has e-mailed me she has a marriage for Beatrice Oakes to
    EDGAR COLCOMBE...I can`t find this marriage...can anyone help me out please?.......going to double check....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Marriages Jun 1913

COLCOMBE Edgar P Married Beatrice Oakes Weobley 6a 1019

Source:FREEBMD
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 09-07-09, 13:42.
    Jess

Comment

Offspring??

Births Jun 1914COLCOMBE George E M Oakes W.Bromwich 6b 1651
      Births Mar Colcombe Kenneth J M Oakes Kings N. 6c 56
      Births Mar 1922 Colcombe Mary Oakes King's N. 6d 12
      Births Mar 1930 Colcombe Margaret Oakes W.Bromwich 6b 1118
      Jess

Comment

thank you so much Jess...looks like Beatrice went back to where her mum was from in Herefordshire....thanks again....allan;)
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

ok ...the Aussie contact seems to think that her g grandfather b 1880 died in 1959 his name Daniel Oakes,,,the brother of Beatrice Oakes....I think the death in 1959 is for MY grandad Daniel Oakes b 1899.
          both Daniel Oakes b in Garston....How can I find out whose relly it is died 1959...will it have an age given ?....allan

Comment

Hi

there is a tree on AtoY and someone has Beatrice Colcombe nee Oakes as being bn 1883 to Daniel Oakes and Mary Ann Merrick would this be the smae family that ou seek.

If this is the case there is sadly a death ref that they have for Beatrice Colcombe in 1915 in the last quarter in Warwickshire.
            WendyP

Comment

in which case, did Beatrice have a sister Sarah?

Marriages Mar 1918

Colcombe Edgar P Oakes Kings N. 6d 211
              Oakes Sarah Colcombe Kings N. 6d 211

maybe the offspring still apply then?
              Jess

Comment

I cannot see a death for Daniel Oakes in in 1959 at all!
                Jess

Comment

HI

the same tree shows a Sarah Oakes having married a Thomas Sanderson in 1914 West Derby the owner of this tree does not show any details for Thomas Sanderson.

the tree also shows a marriage for Harriet oakes in 1913 Wistaston to a Mr Harold E Phillips and there were children with know info on tree too.
                  WendyP

Comment

There is a death for a Daniel bn 1879 on this tree fo rthe year of 1956.
                    WendyP

Comment

Yes Jess....Sarah was born in 1890 and I have never found a marriage for her..
                      so am I to believe that George Oakes Colcombe b 1914 was Beatrices child...and
                      Kenneth 1919
                      Mary 1922
                      Margaret 1930 are all Sarah`s....???....this would solve the problem of Sarahs marriage as well...

I thought my grandad Daniel Oakes died when I was 6 in 1957....
                      cheer Jess....allan

Comment

thanks very much Wendy....West Derby is the reg for Garston,so that would be right...I`ve never found a marriage for Sarah...war brides probably...I will check out Thomas Sanderson...hopefully in Garston in 1911 census....thanks Wendy ..valuable info for me.....unfortunately I`m off golfing now so I will not be replying until after 5pm...thank you both again girls...great info for me....cheers...allan;)

Comment

Good morning ....this is the latest update....I had 4 sisters all b Garston ,lpool
                          Mary Oakes b 1881
                          Beatrice b 1884
                          Harriet b 1888
                          Sarah b 1890....I couldn`t find any marriages for them...I now have

Mary...nothing
                          Beatrice married Edgar Colcombe 1913 1 son George, then Beatrice dies in 1915..
                          Sarah marries Thomas Sanderson in Liverpool city centre 1914..Sarah then marries Edgar Colcombe in 1918 so I presume Thomas Sanderson is killed in WW1...I have to check this out..Sarah then has 3 children to Edgar Colcombe who`m she married in 1918...
                          Kenneth b 1919
                          Mary b 1922
                          Margaret b 1930........thank you Jess and Wendy...

This morning I received from the same relly in Australia (and she`s only been researching for 1 year..puts me to shame )

Harriet Oakes b 1888 Garston marries Harold E Phillips in 1913 in Wistaston ? (where`s that ) children
                          William Howard Merrick Phillips 1914-1991
                          Kathleen Mary Phillips b 1916-87
                          Wilfred Harold Phillips b 1920-42

so I only have Mary Oakes b 1881 to find now and obviously check all the above details and the deaths of Thomas Sanderson etc.....so thankyou for all your help and I will now pass it on to my Aussie relly....cheers
                          allan ;)

ADDED....HALT THAT MARRIAGE OF HARRIET OAKES TO HAROLD PHILLIPS..JUST CHECKED ...THIS MARRIAGE WAS IN NANTWICH...CERTAIN THIS IS NOT MY HARRIET AS THERE IS A LARGE FAMILY OF OAKES`S IN THE NANTWICH AREA........ALLAN
                          Last edited by garstonite; 11-07-09, 08:26.

Comment

Hi Allan

The same tree that I referred to in earlier posts shows a death for a Mary A Oakes bn circa 1882 and a death in 1895.

I notice since Mary does not show with the family in 1901 it is a possible, or do you have her eslewhere in the 1901 and not with her mum and dad.
                            WendyP

Comment

good morning Wendy and thanks for your help..it has been invaluable....
                              what exactly is A to Y???....I`d love to see this tree..it`s from someone related ....I`ll check out this death for Mary on Lancsbmd...thanks again.....as a matter of interest their brother Thomas Walter Oakes married Martha Furber in 1903 in St Michaels church ..how will I find if they had any children 1903-1910 ?..is it possible ?? cheers.....allan

Comment

Hiya Wendy...nothing on lancs bmd for Marys death and only 1 death from 1881 to 1895 in West Derby for a Mary Ellen Oakes in SEP 1894 aged 1 ..so this is not My Mary Oakes....don`t know where the info came from stating Mary Oakes died 1895 aged 13/14.......cheers....allan

Comment

Hi Allan

I'll send you a Pm then you make your own judgement as to what you would like to do next.
                                  WendyP

Comment

Beatrice was married to Edgar Peter Colcombe, butcher from Weobley, they had one son George. After moving to Birmingham she died after falling pregnant again. Edgar then married my grandmother Sarah Oakes, Beatrice's sister and they had 3 children of their own, Kenneth, Mary my Mother and Margaret. Daniel Oakes and his sons remained in Liverpool, they were blacksmiths and boiler makers, Sarahs mother moved to Weobley to nurse a sick aunt who lived in Brook House eventually the girls were put into service and one of them was a maid in the house Ismay from the Titanic, my grandmother was in service in Garnstone Castle.

Comment

I have sent garstonite a personal message to alert him to your message but he may be away for a couple of days

Edna

Comment

Hiya Carol...this is A NICE surprise ...so your g grand parents Daniel Oakes and Mary Ann Merrick - are my GG Grandparents ...if you are interested I have my tree for the Oakes family back to 1754 - the Merrick family back to 1689 ( mostly from Norton Canon )
                                        Daniel Oakes b 1849 Neston ,Cheshire - Mary Ann Merrick b 1852 Ocle Pychard ,Herefordshire - married St Michaels ,Garston,Liverpool 1874...children
                                        Thomas 1874 - Ellen Maria 1875 - WILLIAM EDWARD OAKES 1877 - Daniel 1879 - Mary Ann 1881- Beatrice 1884 - James 1885 - Harriett 1888 - Sarah 1890 -Elizabeth M 1894 .........all born Garston ,Liverpool - all baptised in St Michaels ,Garston - as are all the family to this day ...I have been to Norton Canon /Eardisley/Ocle Pychard /Staunton / where my direct ancestors on the Merrick side were born - the Merricks in Norton Canon / their wives in surrounding villages ...anyway - it is lovely to hear from you and I am so glad you posted ....Garstonite ( Allan Oakes )

I am adding this just in case you know of any family "Gossip" ...Daniel Oakes was married before he married Mary Ann Merrick
                                        1871 Daniel Oakes to Ann Evason Our Lady of St Nichlas and St Anne,Liverpool ...Ann and Daniel are in the 1871 census as husband and wife in Argyle Road ,Garston ...Ann ( Evason ) Oakes went home to Kidderminster to die in 1873 ...aged 26 ...
                                        I find it a little strange that Daniel was married twice within 3 years to ladies from well outside the Liverpoo,l region ...
                                        I know that Mary Ann Merrick came from a family of wealth - her father had well over 100 acres and servants in 1851 census...
                                        so how did a Garston Blacksmith meet Mary Ann ??...and why would Mary Ann come to Garston ,Liverpool to marry ??....you mention Brooke House ??...I have a photograph of Mary Ann Oakes outside the house around 1910 ?....
                                        have you knowledge of Ann Evason ?? Daniels first wife...
                                        allan;
                                        does the name John Martin mean anything to you ??...he is another direct descendant and has Sarah and Harriet in 1930`s at Norton House ,Eccles Green -does this mean anything to you ??
                                        Last edited by garstonite; 06-04-14, 10:04.

Comment

Working...
                                        X