Census place question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census place question

I have now managed to trace my G.G.G.Grans family in the 1851 census.

The father is not listed only the wife and children , BUT there is no address in that column only Biddenden at the top of the page is filled in.

I suspect that this my be an instiutuion as the wife is listed as Pauper the childern some are scholars.

Does the refernce HO 107 1620 give any clue .?

Peter

what is the family name please?

Biddenden is a village near Ashford, Kent
    Jess

Comment

Esther Munday b Northiam

Peter
      Last edited by Peter Stenning; 09-07-09, 07:49.

Comment

Peter,

are they Esther, Ester, Lucy, Harriet, Hannah, Elizabeth and Amy?

In small places the address is often not given. I have many ancestors in hamlets and no address is given for them. It doesn't look as though your family is in an institution as they are quite clearly delineated, although poor Esther the mother is given as a pauper.

Here is a description of this part of the parish:

- Ancestry.co.uk

If there was a Workhouse there it would be mentioned, and Workhouses had entries just for themselves.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have a few rellies on censuses in villages/hamlets where it only gives the name of the village/hamlet as the address. Eaton Ford for example, which you may be familiar with being in Bedfordshire.
          Sarah

Comment

A bit off topic, but have you seen this?

Rottingdean Photographers
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              Peter,

are they Esther, Ester, Lucy, Harriet, Hannah, Elizabeth and Amy?

In small places the address is often not given. I have many ancestors in hamlets and no address is given for them. It doesn't look as though your family is in an institution as they are quite clearly delineated, although poor Esther the mother is given as a pauper.

Here is a description of this part of the parish:

- Ancestry.co.uk

If there was a Workhouse there it would be mentioned, and Workhouses had entries just for themselves.
              Yes that is them.
              So can i take it that Pauper would also be applied to a wife with no working husband ? i am thinking that her husband may have died as i have found him awfully hard to trace .

Another interesting fact is that Amy is registered as Emma on her birth certificate but is Amy on the census as has allways been known as Amy her grave is Amy too .

On her first marriage she was Emma on her second marriage she is Amy agian .

Comment

The Parish would probably be supporting them, Peter.

What happened to mum Esther later? Did things improve for her by the 1861 censu?
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Peter - Esther has W in the condition column which would mean she was a widow.
                  Gillian
                  User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

There is an IGI submitted entry for 1837 for

Ester Monday (sic)

to William and Ester

Could this be your two Esters?

Do you know the name of the husband/father for this family?
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

In 1861 she is no longer listed as a Pauper.

However stranger is that there is a son aged 4 and still no father listed at that address.?

Peter

Comment

Peter - I think I have the burial for Esther's husband:

Wililam Munday
                        date of burial 23 Jan 1849
                        age 41
                        approx. year of birth: 1808
                        Place of burial: All Saints Biddenden Kent
                        National Burial Index/Kent Family History Society
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

1841 Census

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 471; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Biddenden; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 7; Folio: 16; Page: 3; Line: 8; GSU roll: 306866.

Wm Monday 35
                          Ester Monday 30
                          William Monday 8
                          Sarah Monday 6
                          Ester Monday 4
                          Lucy Monday 2

William is an Ag. Lab.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Its amazing how alot of my paternal and now maternal side were Agricultural labourers .

This show that acriculture was a big thing in those days and in Kent/Susssex areas in perticular.

Also William must have died before Emma /Amy was born as she was registered in Feb 1849 .

Peter
                            Last edited by Peter Stenning; 09-07-09, 09:23.

Comment

Peter, you could order William's death certificate:

March 1849
                              Munday William Tenterden 5 373

(By the way, there are some wills for STENNING on the Documents On Line section of the National Archives:

Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Someone else is researching them!

MUNDAY
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Has this happend to anyone else , you take a holiday and stay near where you know you ancesters lived .

I went with my partially blind mother who showed me where all my relatives on her side lived , i took photos of each house as it now was .
                                  Most had changed very little .

Then we decided to go and find Amy and Thomas Wildish graves .
                                  We searched the grave yard my mum said they were in but could not find them . I was about 80 yards from my mum when i said Thomas where are you, i turned and a cold chill went up my neck i walk toward the grave i was looking at and it was theirs , I called Mum and she said that she had just done the same as saying where are you we both stood and wept at the co-incidence . help from above ?

We then went on the look out for Grandad Sharmens grave and the same happened again we could not find it i turned a cold chill again went up my neck as i went towards a Big Headstone and this time it was his grave .

I am sure that help does come from beyond .

Has this happened to you ?

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                  X