some thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some thoughts please

morning all, i'd like some thoughts on a woman's death please.

dugald matheson was born roughly 1790 in lochcarron scotland. he is supposed to have died in 1856. he married twice, though i have no dates, to beatrix mckenzie, which he had anne b.1820, and twins mary and murdoch in 1822. he then married rebecca mclennan, and had catherine b.1826, rebecca b.1827, and my ancestor alexander, b.1830.

dugald's sister seems to be mary matheson, (1812-1903) who married farquhar matheson (1793-1883) in 1833 lochalsh. anyway, farquhar and his family emmigrated to victoria in 1853. with them, sailed his nephew, alexander, and nieces mary and rebecca matheson.

now, im the first in the family to encounter alexander's family from scotland, so no one knew about mary or rebecca. yesterday i was in the victorian state library, looking up various ancestors in the victorian indexes.

i was quite happy, because i found out rebecca had married a thomas wright in 1856, i guess hamilton. the indexes dont say the marriage place.
    she died in 1908, hamilton, at 81. i have yet to find children in the indexes.

anyway, i couldnt pin down a definite marriage for mary b.1822, so i just searched for father's name math*son, looking for mary's in the death searches. i found this:

mary reid, d.1897, age 71. (that gives a birth year of 1826, not unusual in my scots family to not know your age.) in penshurst, which is half an hour away from hamilton, where her siblings lived. father was matheson, mother given as rebecca mclleland.

i couldnt find a marriage of a mary matheson to a reid. is this possible it is her? im just not sure. specially since mother is rebecca, which would be step mother, but if beatrix died when mary was little, she may never have known. but rebecca's maiden name is mclennan, and mclelland is a surname. is it possible it was just mixed up?

i would really love some ideas here. or thoughts. thoughts are good.

I wouldn't worry about the surname being slightly different. Also remember Scottish women often kept their maiden names for official purposes. Mine all did until they came to Australia in 1839.

I'd still want a bit more to say it is your Mary though. Are we talking about Victoria??

Comment

I've taken it as Vic and looked for any Mary Matheson marriages after 1853. She may have been married and widowed so re-married Mr Reid under another name.
      You are probably much better at searching Vic than I am (Mickey Mouse would be better...lol)

Here's what I've got so far for Mary Matheson marriages. All Victoria.

Benjamin Buswell 1853
      Alexander McKenzie 1856
      James Percy Smart 1857
      Ewen Henderson 1860
      Archibald McLarty 1863
      Charles Arthur Francis 1864
      Edward Bennett 1865

I will try to check for deaths of those fellows.

Comment

thanx for replying libby. yes it is victoria. i know about the proof and all. i suppose if i could find her marriage to mr reid, it would help.
        im also weary of mclennan/mclelland. i mean it is possible it was written down wrong, but there isnt a father's name listed in the index, so i cant be sure.
        and they just said rosshire for place of birth, so that wouldnt narrow it down!!

Comment

Well there is a Mary SMART marrying a Henry Charles Reid in Vic in 1869. That would give James Percy Smart time for a decent burial before Mary ups and re-marries............however.............I can't find a death for James Smart.

Comment

so, mary matheson married james percy smart in 1857. he dies, and in 1869, she marries charles reid? and then dies in 1897!! i think you might have cracked it, libby!!

Comment

I was going to suggest looking at the death/funeral notices for Farquhar and Mary, as they often give all the children and their married names. The NLA is doing a great job scanning and indexing lots of the early newspapers. I have just spent days tracking down our Melbourne Coles. (NLA Australian Newspapers beta)

But looking at the website, The Argus has no entries for 1883 or 1903, or 1897 !!. They are adding more pages all the time, so it may be worth checking back from time to time.

Don't forget REID was interchangable with REED and READ to most people.

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

thank you libby, i may have arrived at the that information in months. you have a good knack for this.

thank you di, i had thought of that site, but they are mainly good from ww1 till the 30's.

farquhar and his son murdoch are listed on the estate details of alexander's house. my family had remembered an alexander, but thought he was farquhar's brother. it turns out alexander was a son of dugald, whose parents are murdoch and betridge matheson married at lochalsh in 1788. that is according to the pedigree's of the matheson clan society. on mary's death in 1903, her parents were recorded as murdoch and rebecca, so i guess her and dugald are siblings, not dugald and farquhar.

im just so happy to know what happened to most of dugald's kids. catherine is the only one i know nothing off.

Comment

Kylejustin...............I have the AVRI CDs. They cover Victoria 1837 - 1888. I did once try to fathom the online Vic indexes and got myself so lost I thought the SES would need to be called.....lol

Please remember the marriages I found could be other people. There were a few Mary Mathesons and there's really nothing to say your Mary married Mr Smart or that Mary Smart was previously married to anyone.

Comment

That online Victoria index is dreadful, and WA's just as bad. Those of us with rellies mostly in NSW are really spoiled

Comment

thanx libby, i am very cautious with these things, and havnt put it in stone until i get the certs. libby, the discs dont say the place of marriage, but they do give the birth place in the indexes. would you look at the mary marriages and find out what it says for birthplace?

Comment

The CD doesn't have birthplaces for that marriage, or in fact a place, other than Victoria.

Comment

I think we can wipe the James Smart marriage as there is a birth for a Elizabeth Knight Smart, daughter of James Percy Smart and Mary Matheson in 1871 in Seba.

Comment

how odd. well thank you for looking anyway libby.
                            where's seba?

Comment

In Victoria somewhere???

There are earlier births in Brow, Smythdale and Rokewood all in Vic.

Comment

hmmm. well the one that married benjamin buswell died in 1884, its on the igi.
                                just thinking it helps to knock her outta the running. well there has to be a mary matheson marrying a reid somewhere, isnt there?

Comment

Working...
                                X