1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 census

why is it most sites don't have the 1881 census? bmd registers uk doesnt advertise the 1881. and 1901census online doesnt have it either. when i first started out, only ancestry had it. is that why it's free to look on the transcripts at ancestry? because no one else has it?

i know the lds have it, and i think findmypast too. im not saying this 'coz i dont have it or need it, but it is a question that has irked me for a while now!

Its on
    The 1881 Census UK Online - Records for England and Wales

and

[url=http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp - Family History and Genealogy Records[/url]

and some others I think
    Last edited by Cliff inNZ; 09-07-09, 06:12.

Comment

thanx cliff, but i as trying to understand its poor circulation. is there a contract that certain sites have, or does it belong to private hands or something?

Comment

The 1881 was on a CD from the LDS (Mormons) first of all. Then it was put on their site.
        FamilySearch.org - Search
        Joy

Comment

ahh, thanx joy.

Comment

The 1881 census was (I think) transcribed quite a long time ago by Family History Society volunteers all over the country and co-ordinated by the LDS. For a long time it was available on a disc from the LDS and then they put the transcriptions onto their familysearch website. Because the work was done by volunteers and the LDS it was free to search in libaries and online (although you had to buy the disc) and the transcription seach has remained free to this day.

It was a great bonus when Ancestry filmed the actual 1881 images because then the actual written entries could be checked - and many mistakes I have found with my family!! :D [eg: head of family surname CASTLETOW; rest of family down as 'do' but transcribed as PENDLETON; real name ESTERLOW. And, yes, it looks like Esterlow to me!]

The downside -I find - is that the Ancestry seach still seems to be linked to the original transcriptions and it is never as easy to search the 1881 as the other censuses, in my opinion.

Anne

Comment

The 1881 census was first available on microfiche, then on CD then on the LDS familysearch site.

The reason most sites do not host it is simply they cannot make money out of it.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                The 1881 census was first available on microfiche, then on CD then on the LDS familysearch site.

The reason most sites do not host it is simply they cannot make money out of it.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy

If my local area is anything to go by, all census prior to 1891 were on MicroFILM

The 1891 was the first to go to fiche as my local library had to purchase extra fiche readers to accomodate it.

Comment

thanx for clarifying that everyone. it was just something i wondered about, and it annoyed me a little.

Comment

Working...
                  X