Ancestry marriages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry marriages

Thank you so much to the person who posted about these now being fully transcribed. As a result of a much easier search, I have just received the marriage certificate (second marriage) of my 'lost' grandmother. Bitter-sweet in a way as it was for 1954 - I now know she was alive after I was born, even though I never knew her, but at least she had some romance later in life (bride 70, groom 75).

What a lovely result..

nice to tidy things up though, I do try and get the full set, even if the bride or groom re marry later on in life.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

And today - if I do have the right Albert Victor Terry (see my posts re Brick wall) - I have received the marriage certificate for his second marriage in 1958. I'm a little confused as I've also got a death certificate for a man with the same name/same date of birth/same location (Canterbury), but in 1948. There are very few AVTs in the Censuses and only one in Canterbury!

Comment

I have been able to tidy up quite a lot of loose ends on twigs of my tree with the new searches. While I know I can never be certain unless I buy the certificate, with some rarer names the probability of being right is quite high. Also with the search for births including mother's maiden name - add together place and years of the births and you can tie them up quite nicely.

I would NOT be content to do this with my main family line but I can't justify getting certificates for twigs! I make sure that I enter my 'source' in Family Historian as 'GRO index', which tells me I do not know as much as I would if there were other sources.

I'm looking forward to the deaths being similarly available. I can't persude myself its necessary to trawl through quarter by quarter for deaths on twigs but I will be interested to see them dispatched.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post

I would NOT be content to do this with my main family line but I can't justify getting certificates for twigs! I make sure that I enter my 'source' in Family Historian as 'GRO index', which tells me I do not know as much as I would if there were other sources.

Anne
          I do something similar, but I quote the GRO (or Local RO) reference, so that I can go back and order (after double-checking) the relevant cert if I find I do want it after all, for some reason. If I have only the index ref, and no "BDM-cert" as ref, then I know I don't have the full backing. (allowing for the fact that even certs don't always have the truth! - see another thread running on the forum)

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

LOL, Christine - what IS the truth and do we ever find it out? :D We can only do our best with the evidence they left us, lies and all.

Anne

Comment

'The truth is out there somewhere' -oh no it isn't - not when it comes to family history research! I believe I have found my granny - and I think that AVT is my grandad - and can olny feel very frustrated that I'll never know whether I'm right - and who is the AVT whose death certificate i bought?!

Comment

Yes, I am just waiting for the complete deaths so I can tidy everyone up!!!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

sorry to be dim - but what's an AVT
                  J

Comment

Jane I think Julite is refering to her ancestor Albert Victor Terry :D
                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Yes I was - well I think he's my ancestor - he is named on the birth certificate as father of the baby and husband of the mother (Agnes Rose Culver) but no marriage seemed to have taken place between the two and the baby was adopted.

Comment

Working...
                      X