No announcement yet.

The man who doesn't exist before 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The man who doesn't exist before 1911?

Frederick Salcombe states in the 1911 census that he is 63 years old and born in Hawkhurst, Kent. His birth therefore would be around 1848.
    He is married to Amelia Ainley nee Wilson (OH's great great aunt) aged 67 and they've been married for 4 years. I've found the marriage on Freebmd in 1906
    Adelaide Wilson aged 57, Amelia's sister lives in the same house.
    After Amelia's death in 1916 Frederick goes on to marry Adelaide in 1917 (her first marriage)(freebmd) and she dies in 1935 aged 80

My "problem" is that I cannot find Frederick before 1911, unless he's the one born in Ross. The Ross Frederick Salcombe is a tenor vocalist. Amelia was also a professional vocalist in her youth which of course can be pure coincidence. The Ross Frederick Salcombe also appeared with Amelia and Adelaide's brother who was also a musician.
    The Ross Frederick Salcombe was married to Charlotte Speechly Willioughby. She is with Frederick in 1891, at her sister's in 1891 (married -no sign of Fredrick) and a widow in 1911.

Any help appreciated - my imagination is going into overdrive

Think you are going to have to get the marriage cert for a fathers name
    Jess

Comment

I think that the best thing to do is get the marriage cert, this should provide fathers details, and possibly siblings as witness'.

there is a Frederick born in Ross, 1849, this could be him, and his family moved to kent very early in his life?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

How far is Ticehurst from Hawkhurst?

1861?
        Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 570; Folio: 53; Page: 17; GSU roll: 542663.

this might be worth a look

Last edited by Jessbowbag; 08-07-09, 11:02.
        Jess

Comment

I have searched on A for Fredericks born that year and for Salcom* in Kent.

There seems to be a lack of Salcom* in Kent.

The Ross Frederick is very consistent with his birthplace in the censuses 1871, 1881, 1891

I can't find any relevant deaths

Must switch off now serious thunderstorn overhead
          j

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
            How far is Ticehurst from Hawkhurst?
            About 4 miles.

Comment

There is a Salcomb family in Ticehurst in 1861. Frederick gives his birthplace as Walford Bedfordshire and birth about 1850 parents William and Mary and older brother William.

The family are in Ticehurst in 1851.
              Anne

Comment

HI NorwayJane

I think this man could be the same Ross bn man.
                1901 there ia Fred Salcome bn circa 1850 bn Liverpool on the image it is simply being ditto " "" from residents above him in list his occupation is that of theatre artist If I read it correctly.

The Ref is R13 3422 Folio 53 page37
                WendyP

Comment

In 1881 William born 1821 is in Ticehurst with a new Wife Fanny and grandson Frederick aged 11. He is a gardener born Elmore Gloucestershire. No sign of our Frederick.

1881 there is also an E. Salcome in Tilehurst who is a nurse to the insane at Tilehurst Sanatorium.
                  Last edited by anniern; 08-07-09, 18:37.
                  Anne

Comment

In 1901 Charlotte and the children are with her sister Sarah Willoughby in Derby no sign of Frederick.
                    Anne

Comment

Hi Anniern

recheck my post number 8 it tells you were Frederick was in the 1901 census.
                      WendyP

Comment

Thanks Wendy. I am just double checking in case there were two of them but I think they are one and the same. Incidently William senior married Fanny Potter in 1876 and died in 1902. William Junior died in 1879 both Ticehurst.

Fanny died in 1914 in Tilehurst. Charlotte died in 1920 in Derby. So have we got a bigamist?
                        Last edited by anniern; 08-07-09, 19:01.
                        Anne

Comment

There is a Salcomb family in Ticehurst in 1861. Frederick gives his birthplace as Walford Bedfordshire
                          It's Walford Herefordshire, not Bedfordshire - about 2 miles from Ross.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-07-09, 19:11.

Comment

Originally posted by anniern View Post
                            So have we got a bigamist?
                            It's starting to look like it. Can't see a divorce on TNA.

Comment

A lot of cohabiting couples were forced to marry just before the first world war in order to obtain an old age pension.
                              Anne

Comment

Thanks everyone - I was starting to think it was just me thinking the bigamist thoughts. I will get the marriage certs just to satisfy my curiosity and let you know what happens. Brilliant.......

Just thinking what if Amelia hadn't died would that make him a trigamist
                                J

ps i didn't know that about the old age pension - will keep that in mind - thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X