Pritchard 1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pritchard 1871

I'm trying to help a friend find Charles William Pritchard b1844 Hackney in the 1871 census.

In 1861 he is with his parents John and Mary Ann (transcribed as Witchard) in Hackney. There is no occupation listed.

By 1870 he has married Emily and they have a son Reuben. On the birth certificate Charles' Occupation is "Sapper B C "

In 1871 Emily and Reuben are living in Gillingham (Reuben transcribed as the son of James Heather, Emily spelt Emmule!) Charles is not with them.

In 1881 the family are together again in West Ham with more children. Charles is a bricklayer.

It's possible that Charles was overseas but there is only a year between Reuben and his sister Eliza according to 1881.

So can anyone spot Charles?
    Sue

Hi Sue

This isn't what you're looking for ... but have you seen this?

PRITCHARD - 1861 and 1851 Census Look up - B-G Forums sponsored by Parish Chest Ltd.

I've tried a variety of combinations of first and last names to try and find Charles, but like you, can't find him in 1871 ... maybe, as you say, he's abroad somewhere with the army.

There's a Pritchard family tree on Ancestry - you've probably already seen it ... they don't seem to have any info for him in 1871 either!
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Thanks for looking, Leicestershirelass!

The Ancestry tree is my friend's!

I'll point out the Pritchard query on the Parish Chest Forum so that she can follow it up
      Sue

Comment

I wonder where the Army was in 1871.....I have no idea when the wars were...history was not my favourite subject....but I suspect he may have been serving overseas.

Comment

It seems to be best answer but I'm still not sure because of the ages of the children in 1881 and how it all fits together!
          The census was taken 3 April 1871. If Eliza had just fallen pregnant and Charles had only just left then the Eliza Pritchard b qtr1 1872 Hackney might possibly be her....
          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
            Thanks for looking, Leicestershirelass!

The Ancestry tree is my friend's!
            I'll point out the Pritchard query on the Parish Chest Forum so that she can follow it up
            I thought it was mine........:D
            Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

That's a shame Rosi - it would have been great to have found someone else researching the same family!
              Sue

Comment

Working...
              X