1921 census??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1921 census??????

I was watching this mornings episode of Heir Hunters which I had recorded.

At one stage they showed a set of books while talking about the census's and on the bookshelf was a 1911 Census volume and next to it a 1921 Census volume.

I've replayed the recording and that is definitely what it says...what's that all about then??

Linda

Oh trust me Linda, i missed this mornings episode..
    but as you say.. what on earth is going on there?

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

I hope someone else can explain.

Even had OH (who knows nothing) have a look and he agreed.

Off to bed now, hopefully somone 'in the know' will have added something by the morning

Linda

Comment

Maybe they were books 'about' the censuses and not volumes of actual entries? I did watch it this morning but was really just listening whilst ironing!

Anne

Comment

I'm sure this question came up during the previous series.

The STATISTICS from the 1921 census have been published, were done so many years ago.

I have always understood that professional bodies can get information about individuals from the 1921 census (and any other census come to that) but Guy on here says that the 1921 census will NEVER be published and NO ONE is allowed to access it.

So ....dunno what you saw! Maybe the statistics, but what use would those be for a tracing company?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

I have always understood that professional bodies can get information about individuals from the 1921 census (and any other census come to that) but Guy on here says that the 1921 census will NEVER be published and NO ONE is allowed to access it.

OC
            Hi - just wondering why it will NEVER be published ???
            Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Thats what I was wondering
              Lynn

Comment

Natural curiosity, (and google,) found this:

The ruling by the Information Commissioner that resulted in the 1911 census being opened early does not apply to the 1921 census because, unlike the 1911 census, the 1921 census was conducted under the 1920 Census Act, which is still in force and which contains a statutory prohibition on disclosure.

The current position appears to be that as the 1920 Census Act prohibits publication of the data, it is unclear when it will be made available, even under the 100 year rule that was applied to the 1901 census and those before.

Sounds like it needs a revision of the Act to allow publication. Best start making a fuss now!

Brian
                Brian

Comment

Hi Brian,

You just beat me to it..I was just going to add that.

Would love to see 1921 as it would the first one my Mum and Dad would have been on.

Oh well..as you say...might have to start making a fuss.

Linda

Comment

Guy has a good legal argument for getting access to the 1921 census. (No I don't actually know what it is).

Guy told me that he had shelved the idea as he thought that people were more concerned with the privacy issues than accessing the census. I, for one, wish he would keep going.

Guy has moved on and is trying to access something else, registration cards maybe, I've forgotten ATM. I don't know if he has been successful in his attempt yet.
                    Kit

Comment

Money talks . .

I think it is fair to assume that those with a commercial interest in this information being available should be lobbying for the necessary changes.

Anyone got insight into the doings of the "pay to view" sites?
                      Brian

Comment

why wont 1921 census ever be published must have missed that
                        GWEN

Comment

This is why Gwen

The ruling by the Information Commissioner that resulted in the 1911 census being opened early does not apply to the 1921 census because, unlike the 1911 census, the 1921 census was conducted under the 1920 Census Act, which is still in force and which contains a statutory prohibition on disclosure.

The current position appears to be that as the 1920 Census Act prohibits publication of the data, it is unclear when it will be made available, even under the 100 year rule that was applied to the 1901 census and those before.

Linda

Comment

it doesn't explain why the 1921 census had an act prohibiting disclosure though.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I hope Guy will keep going with his efforts.

My own view is that I don't know what all the fuss is about. As anybody can order up a BMD certificate, check parish registers, newspapers, electoral registers, etc. etc. and find virtually all of the info. that's in a census anyway, not publishing the census seems plain daft.

Granted, there could be things in them to do with someone's mental health etc. but surely such columns could be withheld for the 100 years as they have done with the last column on the 1911 census.

Quite frankly, I'm not interested in prying into someone's health details, so I wouldn't have an issue with such sorts of hidden data. I use the census to find surnames, forenames, places of birth, occupations and app. ages for my ancestors. I'm sure most other researchers think the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                it doesn't explain why the 1921 census had an act prohibiting disclosure though.
                                Every census taken under the Census Act, 1920 is subject to the prohibition on disclosure.
                                These are 1921, 1931(though the E& W returns were destroyed by fire), 1951, 1961, 1971, 1981, 1991, 2001.

Basically the reason why all census taken under the 1920 Act can never be disclosed (without a change in the law” is due to the amendment of the 1920 Act in 1991.
                                This states-
                                “(2) If the Registrar-General for England and Wales or the Registrar-General for Scotland (“the Registrars”) or any person who is—
                                (a) under the control of either of the Registrars; or
                                (b) a supplier of any services to either of them,
                                discloses any personal census information to another person, without lawful authority, he shall be guilty of an offence.
                                (3) If any person discloses to another person any personal census information which he knows has been disclosed in contravention of this Act, he shall be guilty of an offence.”

The Freedom of Information Act, in repealing subsections 1,2,4 and part of subsection 5 of section 5, removed the authority from the only person who could give authority without a change in the law (the Lord Chancellor).

I did manage to put together a case (which legal opinion thought was sound and would win) but after spending not a small amount of money on extensive legal opinions about minute details and then noting that a large number of today’s genealogists are paranoid about privacy I decided I would not spend any more trying to help those who did not appreciate the help that would be provided.
                                Cheers
                                Guy
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X