Links to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links to Australia

I notice we have some Australian posters as as i have lost two of my family tree to Australia i wonder if anyone is looking for them or relatives and i can match details.

Amy Smith-Wildish was married twice first to Alfred Smith , then to Thomas Wildish.

Two of her children from her first marriage are known to have emigrated to Australia.

Jesse Smith-Wildish and his sister Emily Jane Smith-Wildish we know that they most likely went between 1901 and 1911 .

They lived in Cranbrook Kent so we are assuming they left from a southern port however no living relative knows whixh part of Aus. they went to . My mum remember letters from Jesse so we know they got there .

We also dont know which name they use to travel Smith-Wildish would be easier to find , if they traveled as Smith then i may never know .

Peter

It might be worth a look in the Wiki, to see what useful links there might be.

In the meantime...
    Index to Unassisted Inward Passenger Lists to Victoria 1852-1923
    RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia
    Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild
    Archives of Passenger Lists, Vintage Brochures, Steamships, WW1, WW2, WPA
    Free Australia Ship Passenger List - Genealogy surname database search engines at Ancestor Search
    TheShipsList: Passengers, Ships, Shipwrecks

This may be relevant sometime, tho' the dates aren't late enough for this quest:
    Mariners, Crew, Passengers

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You'll also find an Australian research guide in the June issue of the FTF magazine:

Research Guide: Australia

Comment

A Jesse Smith born in Kent fought for Australia in WW1, and his complete service record's online. He has an odd middle name that's hard to read - looks like Opield?

He was 39 when he joined up in 1916, and born in Harriestham, near Maidstone.

When and where was your Jesse born?
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-09, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          A Jesse Smith born in Kent fought for Australia in WW1, and his complete service record's online. He has an odd middle name that's hard to read - looks like Opield?

I never thought of that , he could have served while down under .
          He was born in Biddenden Kent 1873 app though as was Emily Jane 1877 app.

Peter

Comment

This is presumably Amy's marriage:

Marriages Sep 1876
            Smith Amy Tenterden 2a 1017
            Wildish Thomas Tenterden 2a 1017

I see Jesse was 7 in 1881 and Emily was 4, so these are presumably their births:

Births Dec 1873
            Smith Jesse Tenterden 2a 654

Births Mar 1876
            Smith Emily Jane Cranbrook 2a 714

According to the 1881 census they were both born in Biddenden, which is in the Tenterden reg. district, whereas Harrietsham is in the Hollingbourne district.

Jesse's age doesn't quite match the Jesse who joined up in 1916, but he may have knocked a few years off his age - not sure what the age limit for the army was.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-09, 21:51.

Comment

Sorry, my post crossed with yours.

I reckon this might be your man.

You'll find his 51-page service record here:

RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

Choose "search now as a guest", and then search for Smith Jesse as a phrase. Click on the link to see his service record.

He doesn't give his sister as his next of kin, but the name of a lady friend.

He had some impressive-sounding tattoos
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-09, 21:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post

On the top line it looks almost like OFIELD, further down, it looks more like OPULD. The Oath name definitely looks like OPIELD.

I've had a quick look on the Ancestry FreeBMD database: I don't think he can have been registered - or not if all the Name/DoB/PoB info is correct.

Christine
                page 17 has the name typed - Opuld
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-07-09, 22:05.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

He joined up in Perth, and was unmarried at the time. I can't find a marriage for him in Western Australia.

There's a death for a Jesse Smith in 1923. Doesn't say how old he was in the online index, but it won't be him, because there's a burial for a Jesse Smith aged 1 in 1923.

Unfortunately the WA online indexes only contain:

Birth indexes - 1841 to 1932
                  Death indexes - 1841 to 1958
                  Marriage indexes - 1841 to 1932.

Searching WA Online Indexes

Perth district burials:

MCB Site
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-07-09, 21:59.

Comment

Reading his history, he suffered a gun shot wound to the head and was discharged with neurasthenia - a.k.a. shell shock - a.k.a. P.T.S.D.

Christine

Comment

I didn't find the births, because Harrietsham events were supposed to have been registered in Hollingbourne... With SMITH as a surname, I hadn't looked further afield.

Christine

Comment

Ok i m not fully convinced yet but as he enlisted in Perth i can check passenger lists to Perth , most likely from Southampton as that is where he was sent when injured so it reads .

Yes quite a good set of Tattoos for sure.

If i find Brother and Sister on a ship i know i have found them .

Pete

Comment

On page 6 of the 51, he does mention an elder brother, living in Wadhurst, Sussex. The brother's initials are a bit ambiguous.

Christine

Comment

Jesse O Smith died in Balmain, Sydney, in 1923, aged 45, which matches the age of the man who joined up in 1916. The NSW online index usually gives parents' names, but his aren't stated, so perhaps the informant didn't know them. The death cert may have more information. There isn't a matching birth for a Jesse O Smith in NSW.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                              On page 6 of the 51, he does mention an elder brother, living in Wadhurst, Sussex. The brother's initials are a bit ambiguous.

Christine
                              He had numerous brothers the one from the Smith marriage was;-

Alfred James Smith

The Wildish side which i assume to be half brothers ?
                              Henry
                              William
                              Sam 'a manservant/Valet
                              Charles Thomas
                              Albert

Comment

I've got hooked!

Page 33...
                                Public Trust Office, ... Sydney
                                24 Feby., 1923
                                Re Estate of JESSE OFIELD SMITH, deceased. 24940
                                ...late of 235 Darling Street, Balmain, who died on 13th inst.
                                Christine

Comment

Possible lead for Emily:

In 1899 an Emily J Smith married Edmund P Hayes in Sydney.

And in 1957, an Emily Jane Hayes, daughter of Thomas and Amy, died in Mayfield NSW.

The death certificate should give her age, birthplace and parents' names, including mother's maiden name.

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search

Comment

Please look at image 37 of the 51.

It lists his nine brothers and sisters, along with their addresses!

Christine

Comment

Re Estate of JESSE OFIELD SMITH, deceased.
                                      Ah, well done, Christine.

Lots of Ofields in Kent... mostly in the Thanet area.

What was Amy's maiden name?

Comment

OK, seen the list of siblings now.

So possibly not the right person - I've only looked at the 1881 census so far, but there was an Alfred J, Amy and William.

Comment

Working...
                                        X