general advice from my experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general advice from my experience

Things i have found that these cause research to hit brick walls .

Name of Smith that seems to miss a census, i have a Smith-Wildish who the whole family dissappear for one census , it took a while to find them because the transcription missed the M and they are listed as 'Sith'
    So allways check misspellings.

Alternatives are a little harder to sort if the relation had name they were called by they couild be listed under that depends who gave the information at the time Say for instance Charles , could become Charlie, and in my case Meshach became Micheal for one census.

Birth towns can also be wrongly transcribed and the county wrong , i have raltions from Cuckfield Sussex which appears to be listed as Isle of Wight ?

Missing letters the same as names also happen here.

Hope this helps any new to geneology as i learnt this the hard way, lol.

There is nothing like a Birth.Marriage, Death certificate to give you that helping hand .

My Grans sisters marriage helped me confirm that her husband was a sailor and that his father was also a sailor .Walter James Sharmen ,24 in 1909 according to my family was Coxwain of the Shoreham on Sea Lifeboat , but i can not find any record of this . if any one has a suggestion i have looked at the Lifeboat website with no listing of him.

At the time of his marraige his father Henry Sharmen was deceased also a sailor.Address is given as 128 Wordsworth Street , which i am assuming is the one in Shoreham By Sea.

Peter

Hi Peter and welcome

Some good pointers there - I'd like to add a couple more

* never 'assume' anything until you can prove it

* don't discount a name JUST because it is spelt differently from the one you are researching

* and don't always believe family 'stories' - but don't discount them either because they just may have a grain of truth to them.

Comment

And just because you have found a family of John and Mary Bloggs with children John, Mary, Nellie and Jane..............don't assume they are you Bloggs family even if the names and dates stack up....

Yours will probably be the family mis-transcribed as Flopps.

Comment

Just to enforce the spelling of names - I have had a fun time trying to track down one particular person - these are how he appeared on the original various censuses:

SPARROW - 1851
        SPARREY - 1861
        SPAREY - 1871
        PARRY - 1881
        SPARRY - 1891
        SPARRY - 1901

Finding his marriage was difficult as well - in 1861 he was a SPARREY - but in 1869 he married as a SPARROW (that was before I found him in 1851). He was supposed to have married an ARNOLD - but she turned up as a HARNOLD - (both made their mark!!!!)

Don't even ask about the place of birth - they all varied in one way or another as well. So - never give up - turn it upside down and sideways!
        There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Peter,

is this your walter in 1891?

Name: Walter Sherman
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
          Relation: Son

Brighton
          district: St Peter

Henry Sherman 52 Exmouth,
          Marian Sherman 50 Edinburgh
          Fredrick Sherman 23 Brighton
          Walter Sherman 18 Brighton
          Helen Sherman 16 Brighton
          Albert Sherman 12 Brighton
          Cornelius Cranley 35 visitor

Dad is a carpenter & older sons are in decorating type occs
          ----------------------------------------------

possibly Mum Dad & Ellen ( Helen?) in 1901 Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 929; Folio: 109; Page: 8.

both times they are living at 1 Terminus St , Brighton though
          Last edited by Jessbowbag; 07-07-09, 09:19.
          Jess

Comment

One of my family members was born as Emma Munday, when she married the first time she was Emma , her second marriage she was now Amy , so beware of even the person changing thier name .

I have the marriage cert so know she married as Emma and i have her grave as Amy ,which is what she was at her second marriage.

Peter

Comment

Val and George,

I have a different motto. DO make assumptions BUT prove or disprove!;)

My Irish history would have got nowhere if I had not made many assumptions, BUT I did then have some luck in being able to prove my assumptions were correct. However, if I had not had the luck to prove my assumptions were correct, then they would have remained assumptions.

None of my family myths are totally true, but all have a grain of truth, so do not ignore the family myth, but try to work around it to get at the correct information.

Janet

Comment

Janet

I am so pleased that some one else works the same way as me. I always feel guilty about the way I work - having a theory and then setting out to prove or disprove it. The only problem is I have so many notes on my tree which states needs more investigation!!

Sandra

Comment

I have an unbroken run of the name Amy, right back to the late 1500s. The Vicar wrote "Emme" most of the time!

I also work with theories, hunches, expectations all the time. I see nothing wrong with this approach as long as it doesn't blinker you to the facts you find. To definitely disprove something is almost as good as definitely proving something!

OC

Comment

the trouble with Christian names in my family at least is that whatever they were christened with wasn't exactly what they were known as. All the Edmunds were probably called Ned or Ted, otherwise why do they suddenly turn up as Edward?
                    The Millys on another line posed difficulties for the vicars who christened them either as Amelia or Millicent. The Millicents were all married, buried and appear on censuses as Amelia.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                    X