This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems exporting

I think I must have clicked on something by accident as I used to be able to do it!

Since I changed from Windows 98 to XP Pro my HP scanner isn't fully compatible. I can scan to the computer & to my newish Printer but I can't email direct from the scanner.
    This wasn't a problem till a few months ago I tried to send copies of Certs from the computer to email.
    When they arrive at the other end they are too small to be read & no matter what the recipient does they can't get them big enough.

Any Ideas what I've done & if there is anything I can do to correct it?
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

As far as I am aware you have to save the scanned document to your hard drive before you can e-mail it to somebody. If you can e-mail direct from a scanner it's a new one on me.
    Best Wishes
    Ron
    www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

I can e-mail direct from the scanning software with my Canon scanner without saving to my hard drive first, although I guess the software may save it to a temp file.

Not sure why yours is no longer working Vivienne. You may need to install an updated driver and/or other software to make it fully compatible with XP:
      HP United Kingdom - Support & Drivers
      Sarah

Comment

Just a thought about the size issue you're having: When you send an image as an attachment using Outlook, you have the option of resizing the image. Perhaps yours is set to resize automatically? This could explain why your images are "shrinking" when e-mailed. In that case, make sure you set it to e-mail the picture at original size rather than selecting small, medium or large.
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
          I can e-mail direct from the scanning software with my Canon scanner without saving to my hard drive first, although I guess the software may save it to a temp file.
          Well you learn something new all the time, I've never heard of being able to do that.
          Best Wishes
          Ron
          www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Hi Ron, yes I was able to email direct from the scanner before I upgraded the comp, much simpler than than going to hard drive first.

I think Sarah may have got the answers for me on both counts, I'll have to see if I can solve the problems.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Comment

I wish I wasn't so dumb when it comes to PCs.

I can't work out how to check & change Outlook Express & I think that is what has happened there. I seem to remember something popping up about compressing stuff!:o

And I've looked at the HP stuff but there are several & I don't know which to go for, help!:o

Comment

What is the model of your scanner? I'll see if I can find anything on the HP site.
                I'm about to go offline, but will try and explain how to change the attachment settings in the morning.
                Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah, I'm guessing you may have gone by now but my scanner is a few yrs old & apart from this email thing works perfectly.
                  It's a HP Scanjet 3400c.

I've lived with it for a while now so there is no rush but I would like to get this OE thing sorted.

Thank you

Ooops just remembered I'm out all day tomorrow so will have to be later.

Comment

Hi Viv,

You may need an upgrade driver for the HP. We used to have an HP that sent scanned items directly to email but when we upgraded from IE6 to 7 the whole printer/scanner went crazy. We spent hours trying to sort it out with HP - sorry to say it didn't work at all and we ended up getting a Canon 4 in 1 - which works extremely well and can do most things (apart from make coffee). Have you tried uninstalling the printer and then reinstalling it again?

There is an HP help chat line which you could try - just in case - but you should still be able to email from the scanner even if the size is different (that is to do with the settings in Outlook but I don't use that system so Cloggie will be able to help you with that).

Good luck,
                    Marion
                    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

This link should take you to the driver and software downloads for the ScanJet 3400C for Windows XP: Select software and drivers

Under "Driver" you will see a link to download and installation instructions for the XP driver.
                      The link for the HP System Diagnostics Utility under "Software" may also be useful for you.
                      And there are 3 updates for the scanning software under "Update".

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer as Marion suggests, but using the XP driver from the link above rather than the old Windows 98 driver, and also installing the updates from the link above.

There is more about setup and installation here: Setup and installHP Scanjet 3400c Scanner
                      And you could also look at the following page for solutions and a link to contact HP Support: Solve a problemHP Scanjet 3400c Scanner

As for the resizing issue. I haven't used Outlook Express in years so I'm not sure if the same resize feature is available as in Outlook. I have a feeling it's not availble in Outlook Express. :o
                      In Outlook 2003, when you insert a picture using the paperclip button, an Attachment Options box appears next to the Attachment line in the e-mail header, from where you can select the picture size under Picture Options.

If the resize option isn't available in Outlook Express itself, there is another way. You can also attach and resize photos as follows:

1. Find the picture on your computer and right-click on it once.
                      2. From the "right-click" menu, choose Send To, then Mail Recipient.
                      3. The computer should then ask if you want to resize the picture. You can select small, medium or large, or original. All the options except for original size will reduce the picture size.
                      4. Once you select the picture size, your e-mail program (Outlook Express) should open the new message window and you can fill in the details. The picture will already be attached.

The above procedure is shown and explained in more detail on the Microsoft site: Share your digital photos instantly
                      Sarah

Comment

Thank you Sarah, I've printed off your post & will try to follow your instructions but I'm a bit useless when it comes to techie stuff.:o
                        Might have to take modem & scanner down to my friend & ask him to sort it for me.;)

Comment

You're welcome Vivienne. Hope you are able to get it sorted!
                          Sarah

Comment

Strange, the difference a month makes.

I couldn't work out how to get the new drivers for my scanner & lost heart but I just tried again & bingo!

I Googled HP scanners & found one that was to upgrade from Win 98 to XP. clicked a few buttons & I'm away!:smilee::smilee::smilee:

Now to see if I can work out this photo editing bit.

Comment

Working...
                            X