Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A breakthrough this afternoon!

It's the Newtons again!

OH's great-grandfather was George Herbert Newton, the youngest of 10 children, and was born in December 1850.

The eighth child was Edward Buckley Newton, born in February 1846. Edward married Sophia and can be found on the 1881 census with her and child:

1881 Census
    Class: RG11; Piece: 823; Folio: 52; Page: 41; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341194.
    33 Selby Road, Penge
    Edward B NEWTON Head M 35 Income from houses
    Sophia E. 26, born c. 1855, Ireland. Wife.
    Reginald B Penge, Surrey. Son. 4 months
    Catherine T. servant b. Ireland
    Collins

Last year we found OH's great-grandparents' grave in Beckenham Cemetery. We also found the grave of Edward Buckley Newton and two of his children, with the grave covered by brambles and lying down. It was very sad.

I was able to establish that Sophia (really Sophie Elizabeth, nee Fullwood) had remarried in Ireland, but couldn't find out to whom. (In 1893).

However, this afternoon I had an e-mail from Lost Cousins saying that the 1911 census for Ireland was nearly complete, and I found her in Cork, where she was born, living with
    Willim Crawford Ryder aged 71 Architect
    She is 56
    and also with
    Abigail Fullwood mother-in-law aged 79
    and
    Florence A Fullwood sister-in-law aged 42

However, please bear with me because here is where it gets exciting:

On the IGI pilot search (where I found Sophie Elizabeth Newton's marriage) I found her marriage to William Ryder - great, I found him for the same year so I could match them up.

So I decided to look for her mother Abigail Fullwood. Fullwood is an uncommon name in Ireland, so I looked for possible marriages of a FUllwood male. William Fullwood married in Dublin South in 1853 Vol 5 page 356, so I put into the search box Abigail marrying in 1853 - BINGO!

ABIGAIL BARNADO
    married
    WILLIAM FULLWOOD
    same reference as above
    in 1853

Why am I so excited:
    Abigail Barnado is the half-sister of Thomas Barnardo!

John Michaelis Barnado's first wife was Elizabeth nee O'Brian - they had 6 children - William, Sophie, Theodore, Abigail, Augustus and Bernard. When Elizabeth died, he married her sister Abigail and Thomas Barnardo was born from that marriage.

My mother-in-law, now 92, always said that Dr Barnado was a relative - well, here is the tenuous link!

But there is more! Before, the only Barnardo link to the Newtons that I could find was this:

The 7th child in the Newton family was Harriet Ann, born in 1844. She was a spinster for many years, but in 1885 she married
    BERNARD CHARLES E BERNARDO in Hampstead. He was born in Dublin, which is where the Barnardos lived.

Now, is he the Bernard given above??

I have found that with this family (as with some others) once a connection by marriage is made, it is often repeated - to confuse matters more another Newton child - Fanny Augusta Newton, child number 9, married JAMES FULLWOOD from Dublin. They settled in Dublin. I think he was a cousin to Sophie, but I haven't established this yet.

My head is reeling as I have found all this new information this afternoon (I should be working!):o
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 06-07-09, 16:51.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Wow! How exciting and to have found a famous relative too! No wonder your head is reeling.
    Well done,
    Margaret

Comment

Well done, Elizabeth, bet you're thrilled

As for the "I should have been working....", well you HAVE been working, and jolly hard too. :D

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

So pleased for you Elizabeth!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Well, Bernard Bernardo (always spelt that way on censuses etc) was born in 1835, I estimate. I must check whether that ties up.

Thanks for your comments, it is exciting and I'm waiting for 6.15 when my daughter will have left work so I can tell her - she will be very interested.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well done.

I don't think a lot of people understand the excitement of breaking through a wall or chipping a brick in family history.

But at least we do.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
              Well done.

I don't think a lot of people understand the excitement of breaking through a wall or chipping a brick in family history.

But at least we do.

Thanks, Maggie!

Interestingly, I have been reading up about Dr Thomas Barnardo. He seems to have been a difficult man, and there is speculation that he could have been Jack the Ripper!

Revelations of the True Ripper - Google Books

According to this, he trained in gynaecology, and it was said that Jack the Ripper must have had some medical knowledge.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Congratulations, Elizabeth

Well done!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

jack the ripper ay? haha. great for you to have found so much elizabeth. im very happy for you.

what is it with people and the following: bernard bernado, william williams/son, david davies, thomas thomson? couldnt they think of any original names?

Comment

Working...
                  X