Military Marriages before the 1st WW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Marriages before the 1st WW

I have a relative in my tree who was a regular soldier in the Royal Sussex Regiment .
    I know he married an Irish lady and that they lived in the Guildford Barracks at some stage .

I believe they married in Guildford no proof as yet and that he died in WW1 at Beersheva in Israel, he is buried there .

His name is Shadrack(shadrach)Stenning and his wife was Ellen Cleary she was from Co Killkenny , a place called Inistoige .

After his death she returned to Ireland to look after thier twin sons.
    My main problem is tracing her Parents as Irish records i have yet to find if there are any not destroyed .

Maybe an Forces expert can point me in the direction of any marraige information on soldiers that would be keeped anywhere as they were in Barracks at some point i assume there must be records ?

If it helps the twins names were Stanley & Shadrach born 1912 .

Peter

If they married in Guildford then their marriage would have been recorded in the normal way and should be in the GRO indexes.

OC

Comment

They did marry at Guildford in 1912.
      Do you wan't the full details.
      Moggie

Comment

Dec 1912
        Guildford 2a 235

Shadrack Stenning to Ellen Cleary.

If you send off for that cert it will give you their ages and their father's names, which may help you with your Irish search.

OC

Comment

They appear to have had two sons, but they weren't twins - they were born in 1912 and 1914.

I won't put the names on here in case they're still alive, but you'll find them on FreeBMD - Search if you put Stenning as the surname and Cleary as the mother's maiden name.

Comment

There seem to be quite a few Ellen Clearys born in Kilkenny:

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

It'd be as well to get the marriage cert before searching on that site, because it's expensive unless you know the approximate age.

Comment

I think you'll find his brother's (William Arthur) pension record on Ancestry. I haven't found one for Shadrach. The father's name (Meschac(h) is distinctive - tho', I guess, if you have biblical names like Shadrach, Meshach - ? and Abednego! - you might well find them repeated within a family branch.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                I think you'll find his brother's (William Arthur) pension record on Ancestry. I haven't found one for Shadrach. The father's name (Meschac(h) is distinctive - tho', I guess, if you have biblical names like Shadrach, Meshach - ? and Abednego! - you might well find them repeated within a family branch.

Christine

We do Meshach the Father , and his sons Meshach,and Shadrach,

Shadrach's son was also called Shadrach

On one census both the father and son Meshach are named as Michael which confuses matters.

Sadly my Ancestry has run out and being one of our glorious unemployed its hard to find a job at my age now :-(

Ok further update the twins i was speaking of where the sons of one of Shadracks sons , his wife died giving birth and he was brought up by Ellen .

Peter
                Last edited by Peter Stenning; 06-07-09, 17:07.

Comment

Do you know if Shadrach ever turned up as an alternative (more common) name, such as Samuel?

There were some Samuels in the military records - but only William was mentioned with the right PoB.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

His medal card is there too - so it will be on Docs Online for £2.50, if you want it.

I don't think it tells you anything you didn't already know.

He appears on the CWGC site, of course
                    Son of Meshac and Annie Stenning, of Butts Common, Kirdford, Sussex; husband of Ellen Stenning, of Ballygub, Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny.
                    And there's a photo of the Beersheba War Cemetery.

Christine

Comment

I have found Shadrach's medal card from CWGC , so i know his regiment and that he was injured during WW1 was sent back and Ellen looked after him, i believe back in Ireland as she came from County Kilkenny .
                      When he was fit he was sent back to Israel where he was killed fighting the Turks on 6th Nov 1917.
                      He was a Lance Corporal aged just 32, No L/7514

Comment

Working...
                      X