thomas oakes and ellen anyons children...experts opinion needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thomas oakes and ellen anyons children...experts opinion needed please

good morning....help needed here please....
    my ggg grandfather was Daniel Oakes b 1849 NESTON ..This can be seen on Cheshirebmd and also Freebmd....according to my tree and the 1861 census I have
    father Thomas Oakes b 1817
    mother Ellen (Anyon) Oakes b 1820...they married in 1840 in St Peters Liverpool...on Lancsbmd
    william oakes b 1842
    thomas b 1843
    samuel b 1847
    DANIEL b 1849
    mary b 1853
    james b 1856
    ann b 1859
    Joseph b 1862(obviously not on 1861 census)

So ...this morning whilst I was trawling through my Backford and Neston babtisms on CPRdb - Version v3.3 - 7 March 2005 I found these twins..please note THEY ARE NOT ON FREEBMD OR CHESHIREBMD

Born in Neston...parents residing in Neston
    Babtised 10th Aug 1849
    Thomas Oakes
    David Oakes ....twins....parents...
    THOMAS and ELLEN OAKES..........
    Now I find it a little unusual that there would be 2 thomas/Ellen Oakes in Neston,a little village...so
    could some kind member put me out of my misery and Please find TWO Oakes families in Neston in the 1851 census with THOMAS and ELLEN OAKES....THANKYOU FOR YOR TIME....I could possibly have my tree back from 1817 with the wrong parents...I have my 4 x g grandfather as Daniel b 1772 in Backford...which is quite close to Neston.....the problem I have now is that with 2 Thomas Oakes`s in Neston do I have the right parents for mine ??.....cheers...allan:o;)
    Last edited by garstonite; 06-07-09, 08:24.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Can't find anything remotely like either of those children in 1851.

Have you found a marriage for any other Thomas and Ellen/Helen??

Comment

Just going through the Thomas Oakes and Ellen anything marriages.....

There's...

1840 Manchester, Ellen Boulton.

1845 Chorlton, Ellen Birchall.

1839 Barton & C, Ellen Moart.

Can you rule any of them out???

Comment

there`s a marriage on freebmd in Lancashire in 1939 coming up as a Thomas Oakes married an Ellen ????...can`t find it on Lancashirebmd...BTW..Thomas Oakes and Ellen Anyon were married in St Peters Liverpool in 1840...it`s on Lancashire bmd not Cheshirebmd...I will correct that now,,,thanks for your help ..they are actually residing in Little Neston in 1861 census but I presumed that comes under Neston////thanks again ....just read your next posting ..I wouldn`t have thought any of those were possible but we can`t rule them out.....allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

I`ve just checked previous posts on our search engine and Thomas`s parents are in Snig lane in 1851 and Brook st in 1861.....looking at my tree Daniel b 1849 was born in Little Neston...Mary b 1853 was born in Neston...so somewhere between these years they have moved house....cheers...allan;)

Comment

OK............

There are two trees on Ancestry (apart from the Oakes tree) that have a Thomas Oakes and Ellen unknown having children
            James
            Joseph,
            Thomas (born Warrington)
            Mary Ellen
            Ann
            Elizabeth

Are they convuluted versions of the Oakes Tree??

Can't find a David.

Comment

How many Thomas Oakes were born about 1849 in Cheshire or Lancashire????

I'll be back....just checking on dinner.

Comment

on lancsbmd from 1837 to 1845....
                2 in 1839
                2 in 1841
                on cheshire bmd ..be back soon....HANG ON ...LOL Why are we checking Thomas`s b 1840 ish......my Thomas was b 1817....if there are Three Oakes`s b in Neston to Thomas and Ellen Oakes by 2 different families in 1849 it`s Thomas b abt 1820 we should be looking for...as it`s pre 1837 this could be a little difficult...I`ll check CPRDb site...back soon....allan
                The only one is my Thomas Oakes babtised 9th March 1817...
                I think we need to find the TWO Thomas Oakes and Ellen Oakes families in Neston in the 1851 census...this might tell us where the second one was born....allan;)
                Last edited by garstonite; 06-07-09, 09:20.

Comment

Agreed Allan, but I couldn't find them, so was going forward to go back...lol

The Thomas you found as a twin was 1849, so I'm trying to find where he fits in. There are less Davids, but I drew a blank there.

Comment

Hi Allan,

One possible solution (to half the problem, at least) is that Daniel is a very common mistranscription for David, and vice versa. If you try writing Daniel in an old-fashioned scrawl, you'll see why. Daniel would have been the more common name of the two at the time, I think, but you'd need to see the original entry in the register to be sure.

Comment

Mary...................of course!!! I've had that happen in my own tree.

However, it does say "twins" for Thomas and David......unless..........the Thomas born earlier died and this is the 2nd Thomas.

Comment

Scrap that................Allan has them in 1851 and Thomas is still there.....

Comment

The only thing I can think of for Thomas is another mistranscription, e.g. Thos. instead of Jas., but two mistranscriptions would be a bit of a coincidence. I think Allan needs to look at the original registers, including the burial register to see if the twins lived or not.

Comment

I was just going to say what Mary said - David/Daniel are very commonly mistranscribed for each other. I have loads of Daniels in my tree, no Davids - but often they are transcribed as David.

Sometimes it is impossible to tell whether the name is Daniel or David, but I always err towards Daniel as it was a very common name - David was very rare.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              I was just going to say what Mary said - David/Daniel are very commonly mistranscribed for each other. I have loads of Daniels in my tree, no Davids - but often they are transcribed as David.

Sometimes it is impossible to tell whether the name is Daniel or David, but I always err towards Daniel as it was a very common name - David was very rare.

OC

Except in OH's lot.............Not one Daniel but a stack of Davids.......lol

Comment

thanks girls...sorry about the delay but I`m having trouble with my puter...everything on the screen is over to the left by 10%...can`t use or go back...any ideas??....allan

Comment

Working...
                                X