Finding a grave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a grave?

Does anyone know how I can find a grave?

I know that my gt x 3 grandfather was buried in Hurst Cemetery (now Ashton Under Lyne) nr. Manchester, from a newspaper orbituary.

Any ideas of how I find the grave?

Many Thanks

Have you had a look in the Lancs section of the Wiki? There may well be some useful info there.

Otherwise, a combination of googling to find the right contact info, and then contacting the Cemetery, with the info you have - you'll probably find they're very helpful.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I hope you are lucky and they help you at the cemetery. When someone enquired at one recently for me they wanted £40.00 for the search in advance.
      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Try this:

You might find him here! Good luck!

Family History - Burial and Cremation Records

"Search the Records - over 50,000 Burial and Cremation Records from Tameside MBC cemeteries - Ashton (Hurst), Audenshaw, Denton, Dukinfield, Droylsden, Hyde, Mottram and Mossley.

This database is an electronic version of the Boroughs Burial and Cremation Registers. The registers contain over 300,000 records and we are working hard to make them available over the web.

Any additional information can be obtained on application to the Registrar's Office during normal office hours 8.30am to 12 noon and 1.00pm to 4.30pm."
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks for that, Elizabeth, but I had already tried the Tameside search... no luck I'm afraid!

I just wondered whether the historical society might have any info?

Tracy

Comment

Tracy, he might not appear on the search but if you contact them you might find they have the information you need.

Any additional information can be obtained on application to the Registrar's Office during normal office hours 8.30am to 12 noon and 1.00pm to 4.30pm.
            Contact Information
            Send us a Message Send us a Message
            Contact by post

Registrar's Office
            Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium
            Hall Green Road
            Dukinfield
            SK16 4EP

View local map Map image
            Contact by Telephone
            0161 330 1901
            Contact by Fax
            0161 330 9566
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

As a RAOGK and FindAGrave volunteer this is where I post all my headstone photos.

FindAGrave

Comment

Try contacting the head of bereavement services at the local council. I have had amazing help from the staff at Lewisham and at Lambeth.
                Joy

Comment

I have always had help finding actual graves by writing to the cemeteries in the area of where they died, and asking them to search their records for me, giving them a time frame in which to look. In your case this should be easy as you already know the name of the graveyard in which your ancestor is buried. Most cemeteries these days have some sort of computerised list of all who are buried in their graveyards.

Unfortunately cemeteries do differ in the cost of a search. My costs have ranged from free to £5. Paying £40 seems rather excessive.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 06-07-09, 09:43.

Comment

Thank you all. I will give them a ring today, as I'm hoping to get over there soon.

Comment

Have you tried this Genealogy Search it is on the Mcr City Council Website. Burials records search

Comment

Working...
                      X