Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Messenger Job Title

Hi there,
    I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could help me with an ancestors job description in the 1871 census............he is listed as a "Special Messenger to the Nations of the Earth".

Any help or advice anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Lynn

Missionery ??????

Comment

Lynn, wow, there's posh! I'm sorry I can't offer coherent help, but welcome to the site.

Comment

Welcome!

What is his Occupation on other censuses? That might give you a clue.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi to all,

Many thanks for your input.

In the 1881 census he's listed as a Marine Store Dealer which doesn't offer any help at all really.

Where or who could I ask (apart from here obviously) to see if anyone could help me.

Lynn

Comment

I'm wondering if he was a convert to the Latter Day Saints? If you read the opening paragraph of this modern day tract you can see how it might have sounded in the 1870's

This is the country website for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
            Sue

Comment

Working...
            X