My first attempt!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first attempt!!!

If this works, can anyone guess at a date of this photo please. My cousin thinks it is out g. grandparents but I think it is our grandparents. Your opinions on a date would be appreciated. Thanks

Just hope the link works!!

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

There are certain aspects to this study that suggest a date of between 1900 and 1910 to me. If pushed I would even say that it was taken in the first half of that decade.

don

Comment

Don That is just the date I was hoping someone would say!!! Thank you so much for that. My cousin was adamant that it was much earlier because of the hat style. That would make the lady our Grandmother.not our G. Grandmother. She would have been in her late teens or early 20's then.b. 1886

Thanks again. Lesley

Comment

I've tidied it up a bit for you.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Lesley, although the hat does come into play in dating this image the style of hair is actually more of a dating aid. The style that she has is known as a loose Pompadour and was popular between 1897 and 1910.

don

Comment

Wendy that's brilliant!! I didn't expect that. It is sooo much clearer now.
            You're a gem!! Now to save it and send to my cousin who is in Canada.

Thank you so much!!

Lesley

Comment

Don, I couldn't make out if it was all hat or hair! Must have used a hell of a lot of back combing in them days to get it to stand out like that! LOL

Lesley

Comment

My pleasure.

Such a lovely photo, it was a shame it was damaged.
                Wendy

Comment

The lady appears to be wearing a wrist watch

Comment

I did notice that on her wrist James. Did they have wrist watches in that era?? She was only working class, by no means wealthy!! I'm afraid history was never my favourite subject at school it is only since I retired that I have become interested in the past! In fact, I think I am becoming addicted... certainly to Family History!!
                    Lesley

Comment

Her hair will probably have lots of false bits in to make it "bigger" Google "Gibson Girls" and look at their clothes.........

Comment

I hope you don't mind Lesley, but I was bored, so I've coloured your photo for you.

Wendy

Comment

Oh wristwatches! Yes they had been around a while by then. And I love the coloured photo...

Comment

To get the full look of the style the hair was brushed over pads and was set in plaits on the crown. As for wrist watches these were first produced in 1868by Patek Philippe. Looked upon as being effeminate by the male population, who steadfastly stood by their more chunky pocket watch and chain, the wrist watch did not come into male fashion until the 1st ww although Cartier had, in 1904, produced its first wrist watch for men.

don

Comment

Wendy that's even better!! I wish I could do things like that! Am so glad you were bored this evening!!

Thank you so much. Lesley

Comment

Don Thank you for that short history lesson! Never too old to learn something new! The wrist watch looks quiet a dainty one. I wasn't sure if it was a trimming around the cuff of her blouse. With only one cuff showing made it difficult to see.
                                As regards to the hair.....all I can say is, I hope the hairstyle doesn't return in fashion today!!! Nuff said!

Lesley

Comment

Nicely done Wendy! They look terrific

Comment

Working...
                                  X