No announcement yet.

Anyone know what "born eodemdie" means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what "born eodemdie" means?

I am transcribing some Baptisms for 1802 and a couple of them have "born eodemdie" in the date of birth column. Does anyone know what this means?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Born same day Wendy - are they twins?

Peter
    Those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music.

Comment

No they are not. But why do the others, born the same day as they are baptised, have a proper date?
      Wendy

Comment

Hi
        I think if I remember correctly that
        Eodem die is latin: meaning born the same day
        GWEN

Comment

just google it to make sure What I said is correct and this is what I found

Ejusdem die: Of the same day
          Eodem anno: In the same year
          Eodem die: On the same day
          GWEN

Comment

Thank you both.

Still don't understand why the Vicar decided that some would have the dob listed and others eodemdie.
            Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
              Thank you both.

Still don't understand why the Vicar decided that some would have the dob listed and others eodemdie.
              Perhaps he was just emphasising the fact - which is unusual. It's usually because the child was not thought likely to live long. Besides, if you use the expression a lot, it gets like a signature, so it's quicker to write than a date -where you might make an error in the second writing.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Could it be born the same day, as the entry above ( like 'ditto') rather than born & baptised same day ( which actually sounds more feasable to be honest)

Maybe they didnt have long to live
                Jess

Comment

Doesn't it mean that those ones were baptised on the same day they were born? I haven't ever seen that in records I have looked at but I have seen lots which were baptised only a very few days after being born.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X