Family Records Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Records Office

I'm absolutely gutted. Have 4 days in London next week and was hoping to visit the Family Records Office but have just discovered it has closed.

Does this mean that the only way of viewing certificates is by paying for them? If this is the case, it makes the process very expensive and time consuming!

I am not sure but I was told that you could not view certificates, you had to buy them

Comment

You could not view certificates FRO, only the registers, but the microfiche's are now at Kew.

Comment

Right, so I got it all wrong anyway. Doesn't make me feel so gutted now

I assume the microfiches at Kew only contain the same information as on Ancestry?

Comment

Yes, thats right.

Comment

Hi the FRC moved to Kew. The big ledgers with registration references in have been replaced my microfiche of the indexes.

But you have never been able to see the certificates at the FRC. You have to buy certs to see them and they are all in Southport anyway.

The exception is marriage certs - if you know which church you can view the parish registers at the relevant county records office.

Always good to check before you visit - lots of CROs are closed for moving, refurbishment, holidays, stocktaking etc, generally when you want to go!!!

Nell
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by hattie View Post
              Right, so I got it all wrong anyway. Doesn't make me feel so gutted now

I assume the microfiches at Kew only contain the same information as on Ancestry?
              Well, yes... except that it seems reasonable to suppose that Kew should have any more recent corrections which might have been made. Those don't make it into the databases already sold to third parties, such as Ancestry, FMP, and so on.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Hi the FRC moved to Kew. The big ledgers with registration references in have been replaced my microfiche of the indexes.

But you have never been able to see the certificates at the FRC. You have to buy certs to see them and they are all in Southport anyway.

The exception is marriage certs - if you know which church you can view the parish registers at the relevant county records office.

Always good to check before you visit - lots of CROs are closed for moving, refurbishment, holidays, stocktaking etc, generally when you want to go!!!

Nell
                And if you try to get photocopy marriage register entries remotely, GRO has instructed the local ROs to certify the copies and charge £7. Obtaining the copy for yourself, on the premises, seems to be able to bypass this draconian instruction.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you have any spare time after trekking out to Kew, or you can't make it there, Hattie, would it be worth your while visiting any of the other London records?

eg if you have London ancestors the London Metroplitan Archives have loads, then there's Guildhall, the probate place in Holbourn for Wills after 1858(?) etc. And I think you can get a day pass into the Society of Genealogists who also have a lot of records (though you need to check what days they're open).

Comment

Christine - I hadn't heard of that. It's outrageous!!!! A photocopy is a photocopy and doesn't cost any more whether its a marriage cert or an entry in a burial register or a newspaper article.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Lots of really useful ideas here which I hadn't thought about so thank you everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        Christine - I hadn't heard of that. It's outrageous!!!! A photocopy is a photocopy and doesn't cost any more whether its a marriage cert or an entry in a burial register or a newspaper article.
                        I suspect GRO realised that their revenue stream (such as it is - but surely £7/cert can't raise them that much, after admin costs?!) was being diverted. Or they thought that their rights were being infringed. Anyway, if you contact a records office, I reckon that's what they'll say - unless it's been rescinded, of course (*did you see that flying pig?*).

Christine

Comment

Working...
                        X