Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any Oakes survivors from this family during WW 2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any Oakes survivors from this family during WW 2 ?

Good morning...I am researching my Garston Oakes family this morning and am saddened and also curious to one branch of my ancestors..any help appreciated ..ALL their sons were killed in WW2
    Daniel Oakes b 1880 Garston married Lucy Lane b 1880 Garston
    children.. (this is were I need help)

Francis Oakes b 1903 died 1941(need help finding how)
    William Daniel Oakes b 1905 died 1942 torpedoed by USA SUB 1st july aged 36
    Edward Oakes b 1919 died 1941( NEED HELP FINDING HOW)
    MY QUERY IS between Williams birth and Edwards Birth is FOURTEEN years...are there other children that I don`t have ????

(if you google william daniel oakes you will find his life story written by his son George who is still alive ,in his 80`s and lives in Australia)

so basically I would like to know how Francis and Edward died and whether there were any other siblings....Lucy died in 1955 ..I don`t have Daniel the fathers year of death either.....thanks....allan;)

OK I have found Edward Oakes killed 16th may 1941 in Nijmegen,Holland aged 22...he was a sergeant in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve,,,,he is buried at Jonkersbos War Cemetery in Nijmegen......can`t find Francis on CWGC ..not on freebmd,so the info I have received would point to him being killed at sea...any ideas how I can research "world war 2 lost at sea casualty lists ?...allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 05-07-09, 09:29.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Have you tried find my past mitlary death reg
    wye surrey/london/birmingham
    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

thanks Tinkerbe...is that a pay to view site ?..just searched...NO RESULTS....looks like he was at sea.....allan
      Last edited by garstonite; 05-07-09, 10:03.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

On the 1911 census there is a Lucy Jane Oakes age 30 with children William Daniel Oakes age 5 and Frances Emily age 3. Is this your family - if so, husband Daniel and son Francis are missing - I'm still trying to trace them.

Jane

Comment

There is a Francis Oakes of the right age in the West Derby district but I can't as yet work out which family he is with. Would probably need to purchase the transcript to find out.
          Still no sign of Daniel.

Jane

Comment

thankyou Jane....I think I have solved this now with your help...
            I had Francis b 1908.....this info was sent to me from Australia....when I double checked on Lancashire bmd and freebmd,Francis was b 1903...so I changed the date

THE info I received from Australia should have read
            FRANCES not Francis b 1908...so I believe it`s a sister to William and Edward....not a brother...the Francis I found in 1903 is NO RELATION....let me check Lancsbmd and confirm that ....allan:o
            FrancEs Emily b 1908 Mar Qtr......How ridiculous is that....going to change my tree details...that`s what you get for trusting rellies info...thankyou so much Jane...

OK SO NOW I CAN`T FIND A MARRIAGE OR A DEATH FOR FRANCES EMILY OAKES ON FREEBMD...CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?...ALLAN...thanx
            Last edited by garstonite; 05-07-09, 11:02.

Comment

Think I've found Daniel on the 1911 - on a ship in Swansea - which explains why he isn't at home. But why isn't Francis at home!!!!

I haven't found any births between Frances Emily in 1908 and Edward in 1919.

Jane

Comment

That definitely explains why Francis isn't at home then LOL.

Jane

Comment

OK ...it looks like we have solved this little mystery EXCEPT the father DANIELS year of death...also it LOOKS like ...dare I say it..this may be why it`s 14 years between Frances Emily and Edward...Daniels awol somewhere..maybe at sea.........the plot thickens///lol///allan
                  thanx very much Jane...all I want now is a marriage or a death for FRANCES EMILY OAKES B 1908...ZILCH ON FREEBMD...It`s frustrating....cheers...allan:D
                  Last edited by garstonite; 05-07-09, 11:04.

Comment

Allan... theres a Frances E Oakes marrying a William Topping, in Preston Lancs 1st Q 1942 8e 1207

Is that too late for you

Sylvia
                    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
                      Allan... theres a Frances E Oakes marrying a William Topping, in Preston Lancs 1st Q 1942 8e 1207

Is that too late for you

Sylvia
                      Hi Sylvia
                      I was just looking on LancsBMD for a suitable marriage & the one to William Topping gives her middle name as Elizabeth.
                      Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie, the only other one i could see with an E for middle name was in 1962.

Sylvia
                        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

OK...I have had a reply from Australia and Frances Emily Oakes never married and she died aged 33 in 1941,,,,,,she is buried in Allerton Cemetery ...2 miles from where I live......thank you all for your help...any moderator can delete this thread now....it`s solved...another job well done.....thank you all....allan

Comment

Glad you solved it - I will leave it here for a while, so that your helpers can see what happened to Francis.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

OK Caroline cheers....allan;)

Comment

Working...
                              X