Please can anyone find..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please can anyone find..

.. Wilfred H Lee b.1875 Headley, Hampshire in 1901, last living in Berkshire with grandparents in 1891 (who both died before 1901)?
    Much appreciated.
    Tessie

Well I've tried...looked for any male born 1874/75/76 in Headley but with no success, and for Wilfred and Wilfrid but with no success.

Comment

Hi Tessie, there is a Willm H Lee on board HMS Excellent in Gosport he is the right age, his birth is down as Gosport but as that is where he is, it may be wrong, perhaps he joined up when his grandparents died ?
      Alison

Comment

Sorry Tessie, looked 5 yrs either side, but nothing coming up. Checked for a death too but nothing there either.
        Also checked the 1911, he didn't come up there! Definately a mistry man.
        Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

thanks for looking jill!
          thanks jen, I had done that as well, its good to know its not just me!
          I didn't see that alison, will go back now and look! He may not of known where he was born as he lived with his grandparents from a very young age!
          Tessie

Comment

The name william just isn't right alison! Hmmmm another brick wall!!!
            Tessie

Comment

Interesting that it is not written as William though Tessie, Willm suggests he may have been called Will and they assumed it was William as it was more common than Wilfred
              Alison

Comment

Have you had any luck following up with his brother & sister to see if they reunite later ?
                Alison

Comment

oohhh hadn't thought of that alison, wonder if it is the same on 1911, off for a look!
                  Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by herebedragons View Post
                    Interesting that it is not written as William though Tessie, Willm suggests he may have been called Will and they assumed it was William as it was more common than Wilfred
                    I was going to say much the same. I have a similar thing with Edwin / Edward (tho', historically, I'd guess that the first is a diminutive of the second).

And with Will as a name - I reckon you can tell generations by what they think it's short for! In my OH's case it's neither Wilfred nor William - tho' it's obvious that elderly people think they've just not heard an F at the end, and call him Wilf.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi

In the Passenger records there are several journeys to NY USA that concern the name of Wilfred H Lee born 1875 departing Southampton and his occ is simply stated as Inspector this was in the year of 1925 and then the odd one or two for 1926. The record does not show if he was married or not though.
                      WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
                        Hi

In the Passenger records there are several journeys to NY USA that concern the name of Wilfred H Lee born 1875 departing Southampton and his occ is simply stated as Inspector this was in the year of 1925 and then the odd one or two for 1926. The record does not show if he was married or not though.
                        Clever chap, though! He manages to travel out more than once, without travelling home! At least, he doesn't show up on Ancestry's inbound transcriptions.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hmmm so my wilfred or not?

Comment

Working...
                          X