county clare census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• county clare census

am i right in thinking that the 1841 and 1851 census for co clare in ireland are now non existant? i know they survived for some time, as registration began in 1864, and people applied for pensions from the government. as they were born before registration, they had to prove how old they were. and the 1841 and 1851 census were searched for their families.

i thought it might be helpful if i could find my family on them, but they don't seem to be in existence today.

I thought all the censuses except 1901 and 1911 were destroyed in a fire though some fragments remain.

Ireland Census Records - Free links to Irish census records online

I would imagine that baptism records would be used to prove birth age, they'd be more readily available than the census and easier to search.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thats what i thought nell.
      the only christening's i would be able to get are from the heritage centre. they are way expensive, and didnt even say exactly what records i could get, other than they had found a trace of my family.

Comment

Very few census survive before the 1901 for Ireland, though there are some partial ones that can be found for certain areas by searching. There are such things as tithe applotments ie
        Tuam Tithe Applotments 1831
        Genealogy: Tithe Applotment Books and Primary Valuation

and Griffiths Valuation
        Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Index Extracts
        Joy

Comment

thanx joy. i do have the details of my ancestor on the griffiths valuations.

Comment

Have you tried the Clare County Library. They have the 1841/51 census search forms.
            When the Old Age Pension was introduced in Ireland in 1908, people had to prove they were over 70 years of age in order to qualify. As Civil Registration did not begin until 1864, birth certificates were not available for those born before that date. The government, therefore, found it necessary to establish a person’s age by allowing the census returns of 1841 and 1851 to be searched. Applicants provided the information by letter, and where there were sufficient details, a search was carried out. When the family was found, and the applicant identified as a child of the family, a certified copy of the return was provided on payment of two shillings.
            You may find some info there.
            Matt
            My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

thanx matt, but my ancestors didntapply for the pension, they emmigrated to victoria in 1853, though i cant find the ship list. anyway, the records survived for the pensioners to use them, and only the applications seem to be available on the clare library site. the census must have been destroyed in 1922.

Comment

Working...
              X