Confused can someone help 1891/1901 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused can someone help 1891/1901 census

I was wondering if anyone could help me probably me over looking something.
    I have Sydney Vincent born 1882 St Columb, Cornwall i have him on the 1891 census ref RG12/1830/39/9 he is with his parents Henry and Georgenia.
    I can see from searching that Georgenia passed away in 1899, so i won't be able to find her on the 1901 census.
    When i search for Sydney i can find him on the 1901 census with a lady called Elizabeth, i am wondering if Henry went on to marry an Elizabeth and the only marriage i can find is to a Elizabeth Maria Phillips who is born 1844 St Ewe, Cornwall. Now have i not got the right one on the 1901 census or could this be so and Henry has also passed away. If so then why can't i find Elizabeth on the 1891 census with the surname Phillips?
    Sorry hope you understand what i am trying to say.
    Jen

1901 census gives relationship of Elizabeth to Sydney as mother. So I assume that she must have married Sydney's father.

I'm off to do a bit more sleuthing now.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell. That is what i am guessing as Georginia passed away 1899 the only marriage which would connect is the marriage in 1900 to Elizabeth Phillips in 1900 which is who she would be on the 1901 census but should be step mum not mother, well that is my thinking anyway.
      Jen

Comment

Not sure why you can only find one possible marriage.

There's a Henry Vincent-Elizabeth Mary Escott marriage in Truro, 1984 sep q, 5c p.225 on Freebmd.

How do you know Elizabeth Phillips was born in St Ewe?

Comment

I think you have the right person in 1901.

Although Sidney's living in St. Columb in 1911, his birthplace is shown as Falmouth in 1891 and 1911, and that fits with the 1901 entry.

In 1891 there's a sister called Margaret E Vincent aged 1, who matches Elsie in 1901:

Births Sep 1889
          Vincent Margaret Elsie Truro 5c 148

Comment

There's a christening for an Elizabeth Maria Phillips 03 SEP 1843 Saint Ewe, Cornwall
            parents William & Ann on the IGI

so that fits with 1901 info and the marriage you found.

Comment

There is a death for Henry Vincent Mar 1901 Bodmin aged 49.

Could that be him?
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Not sure why you can only find one possible marriage.

There's a Henry Vincent-Elizabeth Mary Escott marriage in Truro, 1984 sep q, 5c p.225 on Freebmd.

How do you know Elizabeth Phillips was born in St Ewe?
                Nell i know its not that marriage as Henry would of still been married to Georginia. I know she was born in St Ewe from what the 1901 census says.
                That is what i was thinking as well Mary but i think got so many bits and peices floating around with this bit of family i was getting in a pickle but agree exactly with what you are saying.
                Oh Lin that could well be it and that would be why he's not on 1901 census as well.

Thankyou for your help.
                Jen

Comment

I can't find a likely Elizabeth in 1891 either.

So she must be a) missing b)badly mistranscribed or c) possibly under a different surname and managed to be married and widowed to a Mr Phillips between 1891-and marrying Henry.

Comment

Jennie

sorry I misread your post about Henry's marriage - but it does fit with Phillips being a married surname. Off to see if I can find Elizabeth in 1851 as Phillips.

PS - found Elizabeth M Phillips 1951 with parents William and Ann and siblings HO107; Piece: 1907; Folio: 215; Page: 16 so bang goes that theory!

back to missing or mistranscribed. Possibly she was in service and her birth details were wrongly recorded by her employer.
                    Last edited by Little Nell; 04-07-09, 12:14.

Comment

did elizabeth have any children with henry?

Comment

Unlikely - she was 57 in 1901, and the youngest child is aged 10, so presumably Georgena's child.

Comment

They didn't have children all the children belong to Georgina.
                          Thanks Nell i am trying to see if i can find her on any of the other census but like you say she could be badly mistranscribed.
                          Jen

Comment

1861 rg9/1548/34/9
                            1871 RG10/2271/58/4
                            Jen

Comment

maybe a death cert could help?

Comment

For which one Kyle?
                                Jen

Comment

elizabeth. and what did the census say for how long elizabeth was married?

Comment

Working...
                                  X