How would I find this person ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would I find this person ?

I have William Joseph Hockey named on a birth cert as a Father in 1887, and he is a Brass Finisher,now I have looked at whats shown on Ancestry and cant see anyone that has that job on the census, where would you think I could look please ?
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

What is the name of the child and were were they born? I will have a look for you if you give me this information.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh ok thanks, its William Henry Hockey,born 1887 in Hoxton New Town,Shoreditch,then called Middlesex in those days.
      regards Patti

Comment

Haven't been able to find anything. Do you have any other details that might help to find him? Mother's name? Other siblings name's and DOB etc.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I will pm you Wendy
          regards Patti

Comment

What was his mother's name?

Comment

He may not have been a brass finisher at the time of the census or the occupation may have been misrecorded or invented.

I am puzzling over why my husband's gt x 2 grandmother has a father who is a "waiter" on the marriage cert - not a restaurant table waiter, but a man who waited for ships to charge excise on their goods. In all other records he is a carpenter and only 3 years after the marriage he is a master carpenter.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes I am thinking it might be made up if she didnt know,its one of those ones that will go on for years I expect.
                regards Patti

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                  He may not have been a brass finisher at the time of the census or the occupation may have been misrecorded or invented.

I am puzzling over why my husband's gt x 2 grandmother has a father who is a "waiter" on the marriage cert - not a restaurant table waiter, but a man who waited for ships to charge excise on their goods. In all other records he is a carpenter and only 3 years after the marriage he is a master carpenter.
                  If you have an occupation for navy-linked personnel listed as "waiter", it's worth checking that it shouldn't be "writer" - a sort of ship's secretary. (I'm not saying that that applies to your man, Nell, but just that it's something of general relevance, and your post made me think of it.)

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X