Time of a trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time of a trip.

Hello Yesterday I asked a question about New Zealand, and Richard found the answers for me for which I thanked him. Now after thinking about it all over night can I now pose an other question ---- In 1954/55 how long would it take to sail from NZ to Southampton ??? As according to records Sidney Blood sailed from NZ Dec 1954 and Oct 1955 It sounds weird to me Can you please help
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

i think it was around 1-2 months. my mother and her family emmigrated to victoria in 1970, and it only took a month.

Comment

My mother went from England to Australia in 1946, and the trip took 6 weeks.

Comment

It would depend on the number of intermediate calling points and whether they used the Suez Canal. Looking at the incoming passenger records on Ancestry, some ships made 3 or 4 stops, others made as many as ten.

In the mid-1850s, my avatar did Liverpool to Melbourne in 85 to 90 days.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

would it be easier to go around the bottom of africa, and along southern australia, or throught the suez and navigate either the south or north of australia to get to new zealand?

Comment

This is what I've found by looking at Ancestry incoming passenger lists and FindmyPast outgoing passengers lists. I have a sub to Ancestry so I can see the images, but not to FMP.

1947: Sidney Blood born 1921 travelled to Australia (FMP)

27/12/1954: Sidney Blood aged 34 travelled from Auckland to Southampton. Proposed address in the UK 16 Mayberth Ave., Crumpsall, Manchester. Occupation. carpenter. Last permanent residence: New Zealand. Intended future residence: Other parts of the British Empire. (Ancestry)

1955: Sidney Blood born 1920 travelled to Wellington, New Zealand (FMP)

26/10/1955: Sidney Blood born 2/6/20, single, travelled from Wellington to Southampton. Address in the UK 16 Mayberth Ave., HR, Crumpsall, Manchester. Occupation. carpenter. Last permanent residence: New Zealand. Intended future permanent residence: England. (Ancestry)

"Permanent" residence means more than 12 months.

He wasn't travelling with anyone else of the same name on the Ancestry passenger lists. On FMP, there's an S Blood of about the same age travelling to the same destinations both times; I assume it's a duplicate entry, but you'd need to buy a few credits for FMP to check.

I can't see him on another outgoing passenger list, but they only go up to 1960. Presumably he returned to NZ after that.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              would it be easier to go around the bottom of africa, and along southern australia, or throught the suez and navigate either the south or north of australia to get to new zealand?
              My mum went through Suez in 1946, heading for Sydney, but after the Suez crisis in 1957 I guess ships had to go the long way round. Not sure which route ships to NZ took.

Comment

I think NZ is more or less equidistant by ship, so the route would be determined by the calling points. Going East via the Cape of Good Hope would have a lot more ports in Africa and Asia to call at on the way. Going West via Cape Horn or the Panama Canal would probably be quicker but with less intermediate ports to choose from.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  My mum went through Suez in 1946, heading for Sydney, but after the Suez crisis in 1957 I guess ships had to go the long way round. Not sure which route ships to NZ took.
                  ok. mum went round cape hope, but stopped at the canary islands, and i think or two more ports before arriving in australia.

Comment

Working...
                  X