heard of betridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heard of betridge?

i've been in contact with the matheson clan genealogist, and he came up with a family tree from the 35 different databases of matheson families, and came up with a murdoch matheson marrying a 'betridge'/rebecca matheson in lochalsh in 1788. it is on the igi, but i googled 'betridge' and it seems to be a surname. has anyone come across it before as a surname or otherwise?

Sounds more like Beatrice mistranscribed, or said in an impenetrable accent to me, although the Scots are very fond of using surnames as forenames, in which case Betteridge might be it.

OC

Comment

Betteridge doesn't sound like a Scottish surname. I favour the mistranscription option.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

interesting. beatrice, never thought of that. i knew the family up till their son, but had no death date for him. the tree had him dying in 1856, but there is no christening so far. am i right in thinking that the only way i would find his parents names is on the death cert? and what info does one have? i havnt got any ancestors with events after civil reg, so im not sure what is on them!!

Comment

Scottish certs are a mine of information, death certs included, although of course the info is only as good as the informant's knowledge.

You should get both parent's names including mother's ms. Had your man died in 1855 instead of 1856, you would also have got a potted biography!

Still, for £1.20 it is certainly worth the money. Go for it!

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 04-07-09, 11:41. Reason: correct year

Comment

well, im not 100% on the info sent to me, and i do plan to corroborate it as best i can. main reason being, there wasnt a place of death sent to me with the tree. the only death for a d*g* math*son in ross and co in 1856 was in lochalsh, and mine lived at applecross, but it is definently worth a check.

Comment

Working...
            X