Date opinions for Costume Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date opinions for Costume Gallery

Can I run this past you? I think it dates from the later 1870s but would appreciate comments before I put it in the costume gallery

I have another photo by the same photographer of this lady's aunt who died Feb 1877, by 1882 the photographer had another partnership (got a photo by Goodman and Schmidt of a lady who died Dec 1882)

The sitter was born 1852

I don't know enough about Victorian fashions to be able to offer any intelligent comments, but if you email it to the Museum of Costume in Bath they might be able to help. I'm not sure what the rules are about posting links on this forum - I've looked but I can't find any rule that says I can't, so the museum is at:
    Home Page
    If that does break any rules, I apologise!

Belinda
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

thankyou Sal, helpful links are always appreciated

Comment

I've just seen that the link I posted is displayed as "homepage". In case anyone wants it in plain English it's

museumofcostume.co.uk or fashionmuseum.co.uk

both addresses get you to the same site.

Sorry about that!
        Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

I would suggest that this image was taken circa 1873 to 1879. The sitter has her hair frizzed at the front with the side hair taken back to a chignon leaving the ears exposed. The eight buttoned, front fastening bodice has a high neckline to the nape of the neck tapering to a short V at the front under which can be seen the collar of her blouse. From the sixth button on the bodice can be seen a chain which would have had a small watch at the end of it which would have been placed into a small pocket at the hip of the bodice, the pocket being tailored just for this purpose. The bodice has coat sleeving and at the wrist can be seen the frilling of the mousequetaire cuffing.

I can not find agreat deal about the photographer Henry Goodman except that he was born circa 1837 in Chelsea and is shown as a visitor to a household in 1861 at 15 Park Walk Chelsea and is noted as being employed as a steward in the merchant service. By 1871 Henry Goodman had married and is shown as residing at 2 Fort Row Margate. Henry Goodman dies in 1879 and his wife Louisa appears to carry on the business as she is shown on the 1881 census as being a widow and living at 28 Hawley Square Margate and gives her occupation as Photographer. I believe that the L. R. Goodman, Photographer, Margate relates to Lousia and would date after Henry's death and the ending of the partnership with William Schmidt.

William Schmidt moved to Margate sometime after his marriage in 1878 and shortly after went into partnership with Goodman Photographer's at Fort Hill ( I can not find out if it was with Henry or Louisa). The Goodman's establishment at Fort Hill had been established from 1858.

don

Comment

Thankyou don for your very full and constructive comments, which fit in very well with the timescale I had hoped.

Comment

Working...
            X