Susannah Elizabeth Christmasday ?? lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susannah Elizabeth Christmasday ?? lol

just seen this born in 1842 JUNE Stepney poor Girl.

It's probably not much more of a problem than CHRISTMAS (see my footer!) or EASTER - or any other such seasonal name.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think I could cope with christmas but christmasday ??? ummmm

Comment

There is another like it found on Ancestry.
        Linda Christine Christmas-Day born 25 December 1942, married April 1988, died December 1996.

Comment

Surnames like Christmas or Easter, often reflect the fact that the child was a foundling or of foundling ancestors.

OC

Comment

Better than that poor foundling who was given surname Roads because she was found in the road!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

is that right OC ? never knew that

Comment

Yes, foundlings were given names according to which authority undertook responsibility for them and they all had their own systems for naming thse poor little mites.

Often they were named after the town, village or borough. (Pre Poor Law Union).

Some foundling institutions used the alphabet - first child in was Annie, second one Betty and so on. Surnames were picked the same way, but started at the opposite end of the alphabet.

Institutions of a religious nature would use surnames like Christmas, Easter, Lent etc with an appropriate saint's name as a forename.

And as Nell says, some were simply named after the place where they were found.

OC

Comment

thats so sad poor little kids wonder why this one was named christmasday maybe thats when she was found eh ????

Comment

on the same page as an aunts christening in 1842, was a foundling, 'given the name of our most gracious queen', victoria. she was found near fountains if i remember correctly. poor little mite.

Comment

Not a foundling but doing the generation game this week I found River Jordan born in Cardiff.
                      Anne

Comment

Working...
                      X