Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 2 July is ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of Who Do We Think You Are? 2 July is ...

BEARGER

Well done. I hope you get a few brick walls knocked down

Apologies for this being posted late - slight technical hitch:o
    Barbara

Great news and many thanks.
    I have a couple of brick walls, the first is one I posted a few weeks ago concerning the ancestors of my mothers grandfather. OC & a few others tried to find a way through but no luck, could be this time hopefully. What I have for fact is Archibald McKinnon m. Margaret Campbell 15/02/1895 in Glasgow, I have the original m. cert. On it it gives Archibald's father as John McKinnon (labourer) & mother as Euphemia Beaton (deceased). Archibald & Margaret had two children, John (my g/f) . 29/06/1895 & Charlotte b. 09/04/1897. I have all 4 on the 1901 census.

I cannot find any trace of a John McKinnon/Euphemia Beaton marriage. I can find Dugald McKinnon/Euphemia Beaton & James McKinnon/Euphemia Beaton marriages but can't prove if these are my family.
    The oral tradition in the family is that this line goes back to the Isle of Coll. The previous post is on page 15 "Archibald McKinnon ancestors?" would be better to read that to stop duplication.
    Thanks for any help found.

BEARGER

Comment

Congratulations dear good luck on getting some tough ones answered ;;
      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I suppose the only way of deciding might be to get both marriage records and see if there are any middle names or if the witnesses are anyone that would fit with your family. At least they will be on Scotlandspeople and therefore a lot cheaper than buying an English certificate.
        I can't think of any other way of confirming which is yours.
        Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          I suppose the only way of deciding might be to get both marriage records and see if there are any middle names or if the witnesses are anyone that would fit with your family. At least they will be on Scotlandspeople and therefore a lot cheaper than buying an English certificate.
          I can't think of any other way of confirming which is yours.
          Margaret

We can forget about the James/Euphemia Beaton as she died in 1908 and on Archibalds m. cert. 1895 she is given as deceased!

Comment

Bearger, post as much as you can because you want as much help as you can get this week!

Have you any other problems we can help you with?
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
              Bearger, post as much as you can because you want as much help as you can get this week!

Have you any other problems we can help you with?
              Ok. But I think this one is even less likely to be solved, but you never know;)

Augustas (Gustave) Julien Birdwisa married Ann McKinnon in Glasgow on 10th March 1882. On the marriage certificate it gives his parents as Victor Julian Birdwisa and Mary Louisa Delony or Delany(Delonghi?). Gustave died 13th March 1915 in Glasgow. His mother remarried after Victor died to a Mr. Russell. I have Gustave's Seaman's Certificate of Discharge book No. 162967 it gives his birth as 1850 in Toronto along with his "signature", this could be wrong as he was illiterate. The vessels he sailed on where:
              29/06/1901-28/07/1901 & 03/08/1901-17/01/1902 HURONIAN 113960.
              19/04/1905-22/05/1905 & 26/05/1905-27/06/1905 COREAN 84312, 12/07/1905.
              12/07/1905-28/071905 IONIAN?? 113989

The family called him the "Frenchman" some said he came from Canada others France. In the IGI it gives FRANCE but we have no idea who put that there. On the 1901 census he on a vessel in Lamlash Bay with 2 of his sons. We have always wondered where he came from, would there be records of his vessels crew?

Comment

William Gibb

Here's another wee one. William Gibb was born about 1787 in Mauchline, Ayrshire he married Janet Marr on 5th July 1817. I have found a baptismal certificate dated 14th January 1787 for a William Gibb born in Craighead, Mauchline father James. Any chance we can prove its my William and find out his mother and marriage date for her and go further back.

I was not thinking and thought just to put one problem down at a time.:o

Comment

Working...
                X