WELL DONE!!! to all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WELL DONE!!! to all

that have contributed to the POW project...... (Places of Worship)

THANK YOU..

we have now got about 10,000 pictures in the wiki

we still have a way to go, but things are looking good..

hopefully more people can get back out there and do some more snapping for us...

Please take the time to have a look in our Regional forums and see if you can offer assistance.

England, Wales & Isle of Man - Family Tree Forum

Scotland - Family Tree Forum

thank you
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-07-09, 09:09.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

will take a look now Julie...

Comment

I feel I could do more but a lot of the churches here are on such small roads it's impossible to park. I'll make a mental note to try harder

Comment

thank you,

I know that it can be difficult finding places to park etc... I have been out on serveral 'reccys' to POW hunt. I have found that there are a few decent 'map books' that have some POWS listed, this has helped greatly, I am now travelling further afield, but do enjoy getting out and about and contributing in a small way.

it doesnt matter even if you cannot get out and about, if you have local knowledge about a church or a place where a church once was, it all helps those that are looking for that info.
        Julie

Comment

My problem is the opposite to Trish. I don't drive so have to rely on public transport which is expensive and inconvenient and I've only just got my camera back in working order. I do have a week left on my student bus pass so will see if I can do some this week and try to figure out why my computer isn't recognising my memory card or if I can find the lead that attaches the camera directly to the computer.
          Julie aka Royal Wattle cat ;)

“Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.” Cheris Kramarae

Comment

I have about 30/40 still to add from Middlesbrough Guisborough areas will take me ages yet to get them all ;; but hey good going everyone with that many
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

OH and I have had fun 'getting' POWs round here and when we are away. It certainly gets us to places we would not otherwise have been. I just 'bagged' 20 on Anglesey while we were there for a few days. It gave me a focus while the rest of the family were walking and I had a bad knee.

Anne

Comment

Oh that's lovely Anne... it certainly does get you out and about, and I certainly have done more walking too...

I do hope your knee is feeling abit better too
                Julie

Comment

Thanks, its a bit better but no long distance walks for me at the moment :(

Anne

Comment

10,0000!

That is a lot of photos well done to everyone.

I'd like to thank Jill on the A272 because she has managed to get a lot of London ones a lot more than I have. I must try harder.

Comment

Thanks Maggie that's largely because my favourite sort of day is getting lost in the big city.

Comment

It would be interesting to know who has done the most different areas
                        I have done some in Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, London, North Devon, South Devon, Cornwall and Dorset. Think that's it so far unless I've forgotten any :D Oh, and a friend gave me loads of France, Belgium etc for the International War Memorials.

p.s. I forgot I have one in the Isle of Wight
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-07-09, 14:24.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Haven't we done well

Special thanks in the Eastern Region to Breckland Jane and Stacky (he's aiming for 500 this year and is nearly half way!)

But there are still plenty left to take;)
                          Sue

Comment

I have a list of about 15 to 20 left to take and then the Isle of Wight will be complete!!!:D:D:D

Or as complete as it can be. There must be several Chapels of various denominations dotted about the Island that are now private residences and I don't know where they are.:(
                            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

10000?

That is BRILLIANT!!!

I have more that I will get over the summer.

:D

Well done everyone involved.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

That is an astonishing number. If I'd had to guess, I would've thought about 1000.

How many still to go? Has anyone done the sums?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                  How many still to go? Has anyone done the sums?

Please don't - its too too scary
                                  Sue

Comment

Wow!!! Well done to all!

As Sue from Southend says, the Eastern Region has a few really hard-working contributors, but we could do with more help - in my area for Hertfordshire and also for Bedfordshire - any contributions welcome!
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:
                                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I did a few rough sums and came out with 100,000 as an estimate of the total number of POWs in Britain, so 10,000 isn't a bad start - particular thanks to Kat, who's done most of Lincolnshire by herself and must be well over 500 by now! I think I'm on about 200, including over 100 in Coventry where I'm also down to around 15-20 left - not quite sure exactly as there are some on my list which I suspect either no longer exist or are minor denominations with no purpose-built POW and the address I've got for them is just someone's house.

I don't have a car either, but given a sunny day and a lack of anything else to do I consider anything within 15 miles to be "walking distance", and when you live in the 9th biggest city in England that radius covers a lot of POWs!
                                      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                        I did a few rough sums and came out with 100,000 as an estimate of the total number of POWs in Britain, so 10,000 isn't a bad start - particular thanks to Kat, who's done most of Lincolnshire by herself and must be well over 500 by now! I think I'm on about 200, including over 100 in Coventry where I'm also down to around 15-20 left - not quite sure exactly as there are some on my list which I suspect either no longer exist or are minor denominations with no purpose-built POW and the address I've got for them is just someone's house.

I don't have a car either, but given a sunny day and a lack of anything else to do I consider anything within 15 miles to be "walking distance", and when you live in the 9th biggest city in England that radius covers a lot of POWs!
                                        Michael, you probably cover about 3 times the ground as anyone else in the same time :D
                                        Julie aka Royal Wattle cat ;)

“Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.” Cheris Kramarae

Comment

Working...
                                        X