Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on where I can find this marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on where I can find this marriage?

So far I have looked on ancestry and also on IGI and drawn a blank.

Its for an Anthony and Mary Ann Mulligan, who both came from Sligo, Ireland.
    Anthony was born about 1821, Mary Anne about 1826. I did think of looking for the marriage under IGI for Ann Hart or Mary Ann Hart as the name crops up a few times in subsequent generations but this did not come to anything. Anthony and Mary Ann came from Ireland and settled in Caistor sometime before the 1851 census (they aren't here in 1841), presumably because of the potato famine. How they got there I don't know, they could have walked from Sligo and got a boat on the east coast of Ireland over. It is possible they married here, but equally they could have married in Sligo.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received. I have now made contact with two third cousins and we are all keen to find out out our mutual great, great, grandparents.

I can see them on the 1851,1861,1871,and 1881 census and assume you have all those details.
    I see they were living in kinston upon hull Yorkshire in 1851 so may be they took the boat across to England and also may be they were already married when they arrived in England.
    Have you any idea what Mary Ann's maiden name was? If not you could always apply for the BC of one of their children this will give you the maiden name and something else to work with.
    GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
      I can see them on the 1851,1861,1871,and 1881 census and assume you have all those details.
      I see they were living in kinston upon hull Yorkshire in 1851 so may be they took the boat across to England and also may be they were already married when they arrived in England.
      Have you any idea what Mary Ann's maiden name was? If not you could always apply for the BC of one of their children this will give you the maiden name and something else to work with.
      Yes I have thanks Gwen.

Brilliant, why didn't I think of that. I'll have to ask my cousins whether either of them have applied for their grandfather's birth certificate, if not I'll see about ordering Elizabeth Eleanor's bc.

Comment

There are no records of the marriage of an Anthony Mulligan in County Sligo for 1835 to 1851 in the Irish Family History Foundation free index search Lorraine, but coverage of the parishes varies.

Co. Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Society - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Sligo

Co. Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Society - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Sligo
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I had a look here: FamilySearch Record Search
          (the beta site) but couldn't see anything relevant. They do have Irish civil registration records - including Sligo. They are adding to the records from time to time, so it may be worth lookng back occasionally.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Having a bit of the problem finding the details of Elizabeth Eleanor Mulligan's birth. She was born in Caistor in 1867 and I can't find it listed. Is the reason perhaps because her parents came from Ireland. I have her marriage certificate for when she married in 1891 and it showed her to be 24. Could some kind person help please MTIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              I had a look here: FamilySearch Record Search
              (the beta site) but couldn't see anything relevant. They do have Irish civil registration records - including Sligo. They are adding to the records from time to time, so it may be worth lookng back occasionally.

Christine
              Keep in mind that civil registration indexes of Catholic marriages in Ireland don't start until 1864, with registration of non-Catholic marriages starting in 1845.

From the FamilySearch Record Search site:
              "Irish civil registration indexes begin in 1845 for non-Catholic marriages. Civil registration indexes to birth, death, and all marriages (including Catholic) begin in 1864. Indexes for all of Ireland continue from these beginning dates through 1921 when Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland became separate countries. Separate civil registration birth, marriage, and death indexes for the two counties continue from 1922 through the present.

Irish civil registration indexes include the great majority of all births, marriages, and deaths in Ireland since 1864, and the great majority of non-Catholic marriages since 1845. In the early years of registration, a significant number of events, especially births, went unregistered. Some persons who appear in the civil registration records do not appear in the civil registration indexes because they were accidentally missed or incorrectly transcribed."
              Sarah

Comment

Are you absolutely sure she was born in Caistor?

Did she have older brothers Anthony and Francis, because if so, their births are on freebmd at Caistor, which would give you the mother's maiden name.

If she wasn't born in Caistor then there are a number of possibles....

OC

Comment

I had a look here:
                  Lincolnshire Marriage Indexes 1837-1850

But there's no obvious trace of any Mulligan grooms up to 1850.

I notice that a number of the files now extend to 1870.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Did she have older brothers Anthony and Francis, because if so, their births are on freebmd at Caistor, which would give you the mother's maiden name.
                    As well as Anthony and Francis, FreeBMD lists the following Mulligan births registered in Caistor:

Jun 1849
                    MULLIGAN Thomas Caistor 14 336

Sep 1850
                    Mulligan O[w_]n Caistor 14 314

Mar 1858
                    Mulligan John Caistor 7a 576

Mar 1860
                    MULLIGAN Anthony Caistor 7a 608

Mar 1862
                    MULLIGAN Francis Caistor 7a 581

Jun 1864
                    MULLIGAN Mary Ann Caistor 7a 589

Dec 1876
                    MULLIGAN Thomas Caistor 7a 658

Mar 1878
                    Mulligan Annie Caistor 7a 659
                    Sarah

Comment

Her brothers were:

Stephen born 1853 Caistor
                      Owen born 1850 Caistor
                      Francis aka Frank 1862 Caistor
                      Thomas born 1857 Caistor
                      John born 1858 Caistor

Her sister was Mary Ann born 1864 Caistor

The censuses show the birth place of Elizabeth Eleanor as Caistor, I suppose the census takers when she was a child could have assumed that as the rest of the family were born there, she must have been too. As an adult, she wouldn't have known anything different and unwittingly carried on telling the census taker the same fiction.

Annie was the eldest daughter of Stephen Mulligan.

As for the Thomas's, Thomas born in 1849 has to be a more accurate date for the one I have down for 1857, do you think? I don't know about the one born in 1876, he has to link in somehow but I don't know who his parents were. I don't know who Anthony was, unless he was born as Anthony and became known in the family and subsequent censuses under another name.
                      Last edited by LorraineJ; 07-07-09, 08:23.

Comment

You could try the Owen, Francis, or Mary Ann births shown on FreeBMD (see my previous post) as their years of birth tie in with what you have.
                        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                          You could try the Owen, Francis, or Mary Ann births shown on FreeBMD (see my previous post) as their years of birth tie in with what you have.
                          Am I right in thinking that I'd have to order the birth certificate to get the mother's maiden name, as that info isn't coming up where I am looking.

Comment

Yes, the mother's maiden name would appear on the birth certificate. The mother's maiden name does not appear in the indexes until 1911.
                            Sarah

Comment

Have now ordered Mary's birth certificate, so hopefully I will get some answers.

Comment

For future reference (tho' I don't think it applies in Lincs), some of the local RO sites do give MMN earlier than 1911, and, similarly, age at death earlier than 1865 (or whenever it was).

Christine

Comment

I have now found Elizabeth in the 1871 census aged 4, giving Caistor as her birth place. In 1881 she is living with Anthony and Ann, described as their daughter and a general servant. Presumably she worked in service outside the family home. Still been unable to find Elizabeth Eleanor Mulligan born in Caistor, but wonder whether she could have been mistranscribed as Mullins, as I found one around the right age born in Caistor.

Comment

Working...
                                  X