Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Help Please

Hi All,

I'm trying to find more on a Smith family in my tree that emigrated to Canada from England.
    I've found a record when they sailed on the ship Empress of Britain from Liverpool to Canada in 1907.

Just like to track them down after 1907 in Canada if possible

Family are
    John Smith B1859c Leeds,Yorkshire (Father)
    Mary Smith B1859c Cheshire (Mother)
    Amy Smith B1881c Wetherby,Yorkshire
    Louise Smith B1883c Leeds
    Arthur Smith B1885c Leeds
    Lavina Smith B1888c Leeds
    Mary Jane Smith B1893c Yorkshire
    James Smith B1897c Cloughfold, Lancashire
    Elsie Smith B1899 Cloughfold,Lancashire
    John Smith B1901c Cloughfold, Lancashire

Arthur Smith B1885 married Jane Ashworth B1885 Lancashire. Jane is my great grandfathers sister. I have there marriage certificate. They got married in 1904. They had one daughter Ann Smith. She was 8months old when they sailed to Canada with the rest of the Smith family.

Ann daughter of Arthur & Jane married a David Symes. I've no idea when they got married. Only that they were living in Dundas,Ontario,Canada in 1960. I only knows this as Ann sent a letter to her cousin my grandmother in June 1960. Which is the only thing I have from Canada.

Sharon - the 1911 Canadian census is online here

Automated Genealogy

It might be a long search with the name Smith as you don't know exactly where they were living then. I'll have a look in Ontario.

The Family Search pilot site has Canadian information too, but I can't remember off hand what dates are covered.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

If you have the inward passenger list in Canada, do they give a destination address? (Sometimes that is a required piece of info.) If you haven't, then grab the 24 hours of passenger-list freebie left on Ancestry.ca, which are indexed. Otherwise you'd have to go to the Canada Library & Archives site and find the relevant inbound passenger list images and trawl through.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for the link Gillian

Christine my cousin found the passenger list record of the family to Canada. He told me the ship sail from Liverpool to Montreal via Quebec arriving on the 21/06/1907.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancashire Lass View Post
          Thanks for the link Gillian

Christine my cousin found the passenger list record of the family to Canada. He told me the ship sail from Liverpool to Montreal via Quebec arriving on the 21/06/1907.
          So was that out of England, or in to Canada?

Ancestry UK has incoming passenger lists - so no use in this context.

FMP has outbound lists from UK.

Ancestry.ca has inbound to Canada (a duplication of the Archives images, but indexed by name, which the Archives site doesn't do).

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a look on the inbound image (page 17, if you have to look on the Archives site). They are described as coming from Lancs, and ultimate destination Montreal.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              I've had a look on the inbound image (page 17, if you have to look on the Archives site). They are described as coming from Lancs, and ultimate destination Montreal.

Christine
              Associated Image(s) - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

Yes Christine I have a copy of that record what my cousin sent me. Glad you knew it was a inbound image. As I never knew.Thanks

Comment

I had in mind that it tells you that the first (tho' possibly not the only) place to look in censuses is in Montreal.

There are also Directories for places like that.

Christine

Comment

You might find something you're looking for on here

RootsWeb: International Web Sites

Joy

Comment

Thanks Christine & Joy for the link

Comment

Sharon - I've found an Arthur Smith's WW1 Attestation papers. Born Leeds 20/12/1885. Next of kin wife Jane. Her address is in New Brunswick.

Associated Image(s) - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada

Associated Image(s) - Soldiers of the First World War - CEF - Library and Archives Canada
                      Gillian

Comment

Your a star Gillian . Thank you very much

Will have a look see if I can find them in the New Brunswick area on the 1911 census for Canada later as I'm going to work soon.

Comment

You're welcome Sharon.

I had a whole bunch of Scots with about 12 children each who emigrated to Canada and I found the Canadian online records brilliant. I was always delighted to find Attestation Papers because the reverse of the sheet contains a physical description of the soldier.

I had a quick look last night for Arthur and Jane in NB in 1911 but didn't look at all the possible name variations.
                          Gillian

Comment

No luck on the 1911 Canada census yet.

Have been told the deaths for Ann Symes nee Smith. Also David Symes.

They died in the area of Hamilton,Ontario. Does anyone know how to get copies of the death certificates from Canada.

Comment

hi Lass

Comment

Hi All update,

Just to let you know I'm getting a little help from a lady in Canada now.
                                She has found details of my Grandmother's cousin Ann Symes nee Smith. As she doesn't live far from where Ann lived.

Also found the grave where she is buried with her husband David Symes. Which she as sent me a photo of.
                                She visted the libray over there for me found a Obituary for David Symes. Which name there children & grandchildren.

The daughter of Ann & David Symes married someone who had not a very common surname.
                                So my Canada contact. Thought she look on Facebook for this surname. See if she could find any one living in the same area as Ann & family lived.
                                Made me laugh when she said she look on Facebook :D
                                Then she email me back to say found someone with the same surname & living in same area as Ann & David Symes.
                                She sent them a message on Facebook so just waiting on a reply now. Fingers cross they reply & have a connection to me.

Thanks for all your help on here

Comment

Working...
                                X