help needing a marr/cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needing a marr/cert

If you have time can I have some help in reading a new cert I received today.
    Residence of the time of Marraige I cannot work out what is reads. I know they lived in fownhope from the census returns but this does not come no where near the address's given on them. Also the brides fathers name do you think it reads Marshall.

I also received a birth certificate for another person and his names reads William George John Wyatt, However George is crossed through and has the number 8 written above it, has anyone seen this before and what does it mean. There are no amendments reasons written anywhere on cert perhaps it justs means they made a mistake.
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 02-07-09, 12:56.
    GWEN

Its tricky to read! I think it looks like 'Above Engine' if that makes any sense I can't read the place/county of the parish church either.

Pretty sure the bride's father's name is Marshall.

As for one of the first names being crossed out with a number next to it - I would assume the name had been added in error. The number refers to the number entered in the 'mistake register' (or some such) where these things are/were recorded.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne I think it is Marshall they married in Hereford I think it reads All Saints. I also think it reads "Above" but not a clue about the second word.
      I cannot trace a Marshall Abley but will have to keep looking.
      thanks again.
      GWEN

Comment

Does it say "Above Tyne"?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
          Does it say "Above Tyne"?
          I am still looking at it and I think it reads above but the next word ends with an i as you can see a it is dotted?
          but dont know anymore going to have some lunch.
          GWEN

Comment

Although it looks like Above Engine I think that they are both Above Tyne.

Surname looks like Marshall.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Does the 1851 or later census give any clues? (I'm assuming the marriage year is 1846).
              I can't think what people would be living above in 1846, apart from a stable or something similar. It's too early for steam power, and Tyne doesn't seem right for Herefordshire. Perhaps an old map might help.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Does this help??
                Besides the cathedral, the principal churches in Hereford are - All Saints, at the top of Eign-street,
                from here: GENUKI: Hereford, Herefordshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

Anne

Comment

Or is this getting close?

Lazarus Hospital
                  Otherwise known as Sick Mens Hospital, above Eign, was originally for six poor Women, but two other houses were added and there are now 8 inmates, each of whom receives about 6s weekly.

Price's Hospital
                  Above Eign, founded in 1665, by Mr. William Price, Alderman of London, is for twelve aged Men, freemen of the City being preferred. The buildings are of brick, and consist of a long range of houses, with a central gable, and projecting wings. At the east end is the Chapel, a plain square room, with a flat ceiling apparently of contemporary date

From here: Herefordshire

Anne
                  Looks like the right letters in the wrong order - perhaps the Clerk was not familiar with the name???
                  Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 02-07-09, 14:50.

Comment

There's a trade directory on this site PREECE FAMILY HISTORY & ONE NAME STUDY - TRADE DIRECTORY ENTRIES - Ja - Jn

Two people on that page are listed as being at the address 'Above Eign' in Hereford

Anne

Comment

Thanks everyone I think I am going to settle for above Eign and the clerk put the letters around the wrong way.
                      Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 02-07-09, 15:23.
                      GWEN

Comment

Working...
                      X