Ancestry versus SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry versus SP

Does Ancestry have anything that ScotlandsPeople does not have in respect of Scottish records? The vast majority of my ancestors lived and died in Scotland.

yes they do they have all the BMDS, (I mean SP)go on there and have a look. I had to use SP site recently when researching my sister-in-laws family. Ancestry has the scottsih census returns but you cannot look at the orginal transcripts,, these can only be looked at on the SP site. I was not sure about using the site but soon found my way around it and there certs give a lot more information than the English ones do and I was able to go back quite away.
    Looks like I did not explain myself very well I meant Sp has more scottish records than Ancestry.
    Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 03-07-09, 18:16.
    GWEN

Comment

Most of my family are Scots and to be honest I use both sites and wouldn't be without either. However I would be lost without access to the great SP certs and their quick availability. Ancestry is great for doing some preliminary work to narrow things down before spending credits - eg finding out rough times of death by looking at censuses. I also use Family Search a lot.
      Ancestry has -
      WW 1 Pension and service records
      Medal Cards
      City directories
      Passenger lists relating to Scots
      Probate records
      phone books
      Medical registers etc etc
      All things that help give a bigger picture.

Just a few off the top of my head.

But I do love Scotlands People
      Last edited by herky; 02-07-09, 08:24. Reason: Adding content as post was done in a hurry - sorry
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I have Ancestry Subscription and Scottish ancestors but I would always use Scotlands People for my Scottish ancestors as only the census for scotland is on ancestry and that is very poor without the original images and many mistranscriptions. All the parish records are on Scotlands people as well as the original census images which SP refuse ro let Ancestry have. The IGI is very good for Scotland as most are extracted from the church records, so you can start with IGI and then just use SP to corroborate your IGI findings.

SP is not too expensive and you can download all certs when found very cheaply. Death Certs give a lot of information and are brilliant documents.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
          yes they do they have all the BMDS, go on there and have a look. I had to use that site recently when researching my sister-in-laws family. Ancestry has the scottsih census returns but you cannot look at the orginal transcripts,, these can only be looked at on the SP site. I was not sure about using the site but soon found my way around it and there certs give a lot more information than the English ones do and I was able to go back quite away.
          Only SP has Scottish BMD indexes, they're not on ancestry. The census transcripts on ancestry are abysmal right enough.

Comment

I use Ancestry to do a preliminary survey of the censuses before I open my purse for the images on SP. However, given the sub asked for Ancestry these days, I probably wouldn't bother with it if I was looking only in Scotland for family.
            Incidentally, if you have family in Ayrshire, I can recommend the 'Herald' database hosted by Ayrshire Roots at http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
            You have to register, but it is a free site, and there are newspaper BDMs up to 1969 at the present as well as WWI and WW2 casualty databases which list local names.
            Last edited by Macbev; 02-07-09, 12:03.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
              I use Ancestry to do a preliminary survey of the censuses before I open my purse for the images on SP. However, given the sub asked for Ancestry these days, I probably wouldn't bother with it if I was looking only in Scotland for family.
              Incidentally, if you have family in Ayrshire, I can recommend the 'Herald' database hosted by Ayrshire Roots at http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/ash.php
              You have to register, but it is a free site, and there are newspaper BDMs up to 1969 at the present as well as WWI and WW2 casualty databases which list local names.
              I do have family for Aryshire, will give it a look. Thanks.

Comment

there is also the east ayrshire family history society which i have just joined
                My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                  there is also the east ayrshire family history society which i have just joined

Will have a look, my fathers anscestors came from Mauchline.

Comment

Bearger - I'd still have a lot of big holes in my tree if I hadn't been able to use Ancestry for the initial Scottish census searches. Although the level of mistranscription is horrendously high, the search options are very flexible. SP, with its limited options for census searches, was simply working out far too expensive for me.

Depending on how many "missing" you have, you may be able to cover everything you need with an Ancestry 14 day free trial.
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

like everyone else has said, ancestry is great to use for census searches. but they are very bad with transcriptions. find your family on ancestry and then get the images from sp.

sp has the bmd's, wills, and old parish parish records. but you must be aware that not all available scottish records are on sp.
                      sp doesnt have any records that were not from the church of scotland. so if your rellies are non cons, or from a different church, like roman catholic or presbyterian, you wont find them on sp.
                      also, records are incomplete, were never kept, or destroyed from various parishes. and dont groan if you cant find any deaths before civil registration!!
                      they were simply not recorded!! you may get lucky with some deaths in the records, but most of your ancestors will not be recorded.
                      also, the igi is consistent with the records on sp. see if your info is on the igi, and run off to sp to get the images.

you can search wills for free, but it will cost 5 pounds to view one. the index will tell you occupation, residence, and sometimes spouse.

bmd's are more detailed than english certs. im not sure exactly what is on them, but i do know they hold similar info to australian certs. for example, marriage certs will name of the mother and whether she is still alive.

it will cost 6 credits to get one image though. it eats credits really quickly.
                      it costs one credit to view one page of results. it then costs 5 credits to view the image you want.

sorry if you know most or all of it, but i thought it would be best to get all the info out. i think we need a page in the wiki for sp, if there isnt one already. it could be updated etc every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                      X